From:
Tanis Collard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 21:44:59 -0500

I have just been notified by a member of the Rhode Island CSA/USA, Inc.
chapter that there is a potential that Nabisco Cream of Rice has been
inadvertently  packaged with Cream of Wheat.  Apparently, the woman who
notified me had purchased four boxes of Cream of Rice and discovered through
cooking and eating some, that the contents appear to be wheat.  She notified
Nabisco and we are jointly working with them at this time to determine if
this is actually the case and to what extent this problem exists.  It may be
that only the transport carrying the product to Ma, RI, and CT has the
potential for contamination. The Cream of Rice and the Cream of Wheat are
manufactured in seperate plants, so there is a slim chance of contamination.
The problem may be if the Cream of Rice boxes were shipped to the Cream of
Wheat plant in error, but this has yet to be determined. In other words, it
is my understanding that "a little bit of wheat" could not end up in the
Rice boxes.  They would have had to have been packaged wrong. Mr. Jerry
Roberts, the local representative for Nabisco in our area has been in
contact with us and is keeping us on top of the situation.  Currently, no
boxes have been found to contain wheat in the stores that are being checked.
The potentially contaminated boxes will be picked up tomorrow morning by a
representaive from Nabisco from the woman who contacted me and they will be
analyzed.  At this time, Mr. Roberts recommends that people with Celiac
Sprue Disease should look closely at their Cream of Rice before preparing
it.  Cream of Rice should be pure white in color.  If the product appears
dark, or has many flecks of brown in it , it should not be used and the
company should be notified at 1-800-NABISCO.  This message is being passed
on to the list as a precaution and does in no way mean that the product is
being recalled in any way.  As soon as I hear from Mr. Roberts I will pass
the information along to the members of the List. Please do not take this
information and panic...just take the extra precaution when using your Cream
of Rice to look closely at its color.  I will keep you informed of any
information Nabisco passes on to me.  It would probably also be wise not to
bombard Nabisco with questions regarding this until they have an opportunity
to assess the potentially contaminated boxes here in Rhode Island.  If you
have any further questions, please email me at [log in to unmask]

Tanis Collard, President
Ma & RI Celiac Support Group for Children