From:
Doris E Valentine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 09:03:34 -0600

I received quite a few responses to my question about what to do when I
mistakenly ingest gluten.  My symptoms are so severe and my Dr. isn't too
interested in educating his patient, so I decided to ask my fellow Celiac
friends.  So here you go.  I hope it isn't too long.  Each number
represents what one person does when they find out their mistake.

1.  Take activated charcoal - Alka Seltzer Gold - enzymes - Draminie

2.  Aloe Vera Juice - papayas - bananas

3.  Bentyl (Prescription) Metamucil

4.  2 Zantac 75's - 2 Pepto Bismol tab.  Also L-Glutamine once a day
helps GI tract.

5.  Dannon Vanilla Yogurt

6.  Immodium

7.  Alka Seltzer Gold (3 or 4 tabs.)

8.  Orange Metamucil vs the "regular"  - ibuprofen - Gatorade

9.  Several immodium tabs  - 1 full tsp. psyllium husks (gf, sugar, and
all artificial stuff free) 3 per day.

10. Take any type of protein such as whey - bioflavonoids capsules.

11. Suffering helps to reinforce the consequences of ingesting gluten.
Be more careful.

12. Gulp down Citracel - make tea with pickled gum by Eden - Crystal
Geysers - peppermint tea - then when you are hungry eat ripe bananas,
yogurt cheese made from Dannon plain yogurt, rice, potatoes, yam
(basically anything that is easy to digest) - avoid alcohol, coffee,
sugary foods - drink lots of water.  Watch a funny movie to boost your
mood.

13. Chew dry papaya

14. Keep eating - take Metamucil - Don't take anything until you know the
gluten is through.

15. Claritan or Benedryl.

16. Tryhalia (you can find in health food stores) - Gatorade

17. Drink a glass of dry white wine.  Drink plenty of juices

18. Veratrum ALB 30 C (take 2 pills under the tongue or as needed for
diarrhea, nausea, cramping (Homeopathic remedy) Crystallized ginger &
papain pills (NatureMade) - peelu gum - GasX

19. Dicyclomine (Prescription)

20. Phillips of Magnesium (to get the gluten out before too much damage
is done) - Lots of water - Advil

21. Heaps of prunes - "safe" dried apricots - carrots & parsley juice or
watermelon

22. Cat's Claw tea (Cat's Claw is from a Peruvian plant not from our
furry friends) 6 cups per week as a precaution.

23. Eat an apple (green is preferred)

24. Drink seltzer water

25. Tylenol 3 - lots of sleep - Magnesium about 1000 mg when
"contaminated" then 500 mg in A.M. & P.M. (The U.S. R.D.A. for magnesium
is 500 mg.)

There you go.  Lots of suggested a glass of white wine - Metamucil - push
liquids.  I hope this helps all of you - it sure did me.  Just knowing
what to do if the situation comes up again is helpful.

One more question form me.  How can a microscopic portion of gluten cause
such huge effect in a body?  It just doesn't make sense to me.  Does it
just multiply once it gets into the system?  Just as an example - I go to
a restaurant with the in-laws.  To my disappointment it's a buffet.  I
hate buffets!  (Except the one at Bally's in Las Vegas) Gluten is in
everything at most buffets.  Anyway, I decided to play it safe and stick
with the salad bar - lettuce, tomatoes. . . plain oil and vinegar.  I
don't touch the shrimp scampy, pastas, mashed potatoes and gravy, but I
do hit the prime rib.  4 hours later, I'm sick as a dog. What was it?  I
concluded that the prime rib must have been dipped in aus ju(a No No)
and cut with a contaminated knife, cut on a contaminated cutting board.
How can that little bit kill me for 3 days?  I ask you is this all in my
head?  Or can that much really cause that much damage?  And I also find
that I am getting sicker for longer periods of time with each
contamination.  This sucks! (Excuse my language)  But it does!  Anyway,
thanks for all your suggestions.  Hopefully I will be more paranoid about
eating out, and I won't need any of these remedies.  But if it should
happen again, I at least have lots of advice.  You guys are the greatest.

 Thanks for listening to a whiner.  Doris