From:
Niko Antalffy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 21:17:04 +1000

Hi List,

I asked you about Wrigley's chewing gum, whether it was gluten and
wheat-free. Thanks for all the answers and pointers (now I can search
better myself). It looks like the verdict is that it could be considered
gluten-free, but very likely not wheat-free. The pack is still unopened,
it might stay that way. I might try one and see what happens. I react
with collapse/fatigue and hallucinations/depression/mood swings to very
small amounts (digestive problems only with more than miniscule amounts)
so I guess I could just test it with one piece on a quiet Sunday
afternoon - when I get one!

I wanted it as a quick snack in the car when I'm nervously driving
around or have a slightly sore throat. I wanted something packaged,
easily portable, cheap, handy and not perishable... ah well. I probably
should stick to sultanas and peanuts instead (I can't have any grains,
flour or sugar either), I'll just have to find a good container that
doesn't get lost in the car.

This was a real eye-opener about mannitol and sorbitol, so far I was
only careful of maltodextrin, maltose, malt and dextrins (and generally
avoid anything processed), now I know better!

Thanks again!
cheers,
Niko

Here are your answers (with names deleted):

I think this web site has all you need for additives. Check the menu on the
left hand side of this web page:
http://www.x-sitez.com/allergy/additives/index.html

I recall that the Department of Health in Australia will provide you
with a list of the additives and what they contain. The Celiac society
have (or used to have) a list of the additives and which ones may
contain gluten.

The 1997 list from the Celiac Society of Australia says the following
may contain gluten: 150, 1100, 620-625, 965, the 1400 series (these are
the thickeners).

As this list is three years old, it would be a good idea to get an
updated version.

It is my understanding that sorbitol can be grain derived.........and I
would shun Mannitol also........I tried for 2 years to find out the source
of "sorbitan trioleate" in my asthma inhaler Aerobid.  After an initial
lessening of asthma following going GF my symptoms returned and I felt it
was the inhaler. I wrote to the providers of this product and manufacturers
and they did not answer. Finally I found out it was derived from
sorbitol.   Then I saw on the list that sorbitol could be grain derived.  I
stopped using that particular inhaler and my usage of inhalers has gone
down from 20 puffs a day just to get around and now I am using 4 puffs a
day of other inhalers and I am feeling great.  I can function normally
after using that stuff for 10 years and feeling awful.......Watch it!

All Wrigleys chewing gums have been listed as GF in the Clan Thompson
pocket guide.

According to Wrigleys as of a couple of months ago all gum is GF.  I will
have to look for the number though  I will write again when I find it.

Last question is v. good but probably not for Americans. These
numbers are used in Europe (for sure) and in Australia (probably),
Americans don't know them (probably).

E-422 - glicerin - protects from drying
E-322 - lecithin - emulsifier
E-951 - aspartham - sweetener
E-133 - brillant blue - coloring agent
E-160a - caroten - coloring agent
E-320 - butylhydroxyanisol - antioxidant

I think it is GF, but don't think it is healthy. I've gotten a database
of E-numbers but in Polish, and another one not complet in German.

The Coeliac Society in England list Wrigleys Doublemint, Juicy Fruit and
Spearmint as gluten free - also Orbit (Wrigleys sugar free) "For Kids - Ice
White - Peppermint gum and Spearmint Gum"  all as gluten free.

I use Orbit Peppermint and have no problem with it.

Flavors and colors are always suspect (as you feared, I imagine).
Sorbitol and manitol are gf, but in large amounts can cause diarrhea.  I
know Chiclets are gf, if you strike out or can't get an answer on
Wrigley's.

Dear Niko,

According to the NZ gf food list, Wriggley's Chewing Gum is gf. The
exact name you mentioned isn't listed, unless it's the one for kids.

Check the list for yourself at:  http://www.nztd.co.nz/

An Aussie site with food code numbers and what they mean is:
http://www.x-sitez.com/allergy/additives/index.html

A while back I found a website for Wrigley's (I believe it was here in
Canada) but unfortunately have lost the address.  I emailed them asking
about gluten in their products.  Not only did they assure me that all
their gum is gluten free, but they sent me several free packages of
chewing gum.  That was, as I said, a while ago (perhaps several months)
and I believe it was a Canadian division.

You might try a search for Wrigley's on the web to see if the
Australian distributor comes up. Good luck.