From:
Amy McGovern <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amy McGovern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2007 22:10:42 -0500

I sent the following letter to BJ's brewhouse and have not received a
response.  If I do, I will share it with the list.

--------------
I am writing to inform you of a very disappointing experience at BJ's
in Norman Oklahoma tonight.  I have celiac disease, a disorder that
affects an estimated 1 in 100 Americans.  This means that I cannot
process gluten, the protein found in wheat, rye or barley.

I am an experienced celiac and used to ascertaining the status of
several menu items so I can find one that will not make me ill.  I
asked my waitress to check with the kitchen about the gluten-free
status of several items on the menu. She reassured me that the salmon
was gluten-free and I ordered the salmon dinner.  When the rice pilaf
came with the salmon, I noticed that it had smaller pieces of
something that looked like orzo in it.  Since this is a form of pasta
(and wheat), I asked if she could check with the kitchen about what
was in the rice.

The manager appeared instead and proceeded to tell me "People with
allergies shouldn't eat here.  This is comfort food and I can't tell
you what is in it.  The ingredients are a trade secret and I can't
guarantee anything.  It is corporate policy not to encourage anyone
with allergies to eat here."

Before choosing BJ's as a possible restaurant for our group tonight,
I examined your website and discovered that you are "working on" a
gluten-free menu.  Clearly you have not educated your managers on
this aspect.  I cannot believe it truly is corporate policy to not
allow anyone with allergies to eat at your restaurants.  I certainly
will not be returning and I will be sharing both this letter and your
response with the international celiac mailing list.