From:
Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 07:25:22 -0400

Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]> said:

>>Scott Adams wrote:

>>>Study after study has shown it to be safe for celiacs, including the
>>>following:

>>People should realize that Scott is not an impartial observer. At his
>>web site he sells a bread mix with this wheat starch. He stands to gain
>>financially if this foodstuff is approved in the US.

Let's stop speculating on motives and concentrate on the evidence. The
evidence that Scott presents is the abstract of the eight year biopsy
study that I described earlier. (I did not learn about this study from
Scott's web site.) Both this study and the two that Graeme presented have
been criticized  for not being double blind. It's inevitable that the
subject know whether they are consumiing wheat starch or not. The doctors
do not know which study group a subject belongs in for either study so
doctor blind. I would put more faith in the biopsy study since there's no
evidence that a person can control their biopsy outcome, whereas some of
the symptoms for the  other group can be self-induced subconsciously.

I personally believe with no contradicting evidence that gluten sensitive
people fall into three categories, depending on which of two conditions
they have, CD or a gluten allergy ( some have both). The gluten allergy is
distressful, but not harmful. Those with a gluten allergy when otherwise
on a GF diet react to a single exposure to gluten. Those with just CD do
not. THose with both also react to single exposure. Allergy symptoms
include nausea, vomiting, GI distress, skin eruptions, etc. among the
worse. I predict that those with just CD can eat Codex wheat starch; those
with the other two conditions will not want to continue with wheat starch.

                        Kemp Randolph
                        Long Island