From:
Mary Courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Mar 1996 03:09:33 -0800

There are several things to keep in mind in order to be an active consumer
at your local health food supermarket.

First of all, if you see a favorite product disappear, ask why--and ask
someone who knows.  The Whole Foods stores operate with a set of teams,
each headed by a Team Leader. So, you might hear someone referred to as
something like <the Grocery Team Leader> or <the Bulk Team Leader.>  The
good news: Each department profits according to how that department's sales
are doing, so employees tend to be eager to please.  But don't wait until
you get to the cashier's to ask about something.  They tend to be less
driven by the profit motive.  Callous, I know, but too true.  And the
customer service person is mainly for finding the right person in the back
to talk to.

Sometimes a buyer has received orders to discontinue a product because it
contains a processed ingredient that is on the philosophical no-no list of
the mother store.  I ran into this in Dallas when I was a Whole Foods
shopper and very excited about Van's GF Waffles.  They stopped carrying
them, so several of us CSA/USA types asked and complained and lobbied for
gluten-free products.  I'm sure I wasn't the only one who told them how
much I spent in their store every week.  Anyway, the waffles returned to
the freezer section, despite containing something unnatural.

If you have a question about a bulk item, you might get an answer without
having to call the corporate office. Some products are purchased locally,
and the buyer can give you a name and phone number.  Often, they will get
answers to your questions, but you might have to drop by or call them to
get the answers.

Secondly, if there's something you'd like the store to carry, talk to a
buyer.  I used to point out how many types of soy milk Whole Foods carried
and then show them that all of them contained barley malt.  I brought them
empties from visits to other cities so they'd learn about other brands.  I
lobbied for more variety in the breakfast cereal aisle.  I reminded them
that some people with arthritis liked wheat-free food.  Don't worry about
being branded as a pest.  There's a different buyer in each department, and
employee turnover will keep you on your toes. :)

Oh, and my favorite reminder: Health food is expensive, so tuck your your
receipts in your wallet and return anything that was unsatisfactory.  Whole
Foods receipts have saved me more than coupons ever will.

By being an active health food consumer you are helping all persons who
have important dietary restrictions.  Thank you.

Mary Courtney
long-time health food consumer and former co-op check-out gal
(I confess!  I did it for the discount!)