Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2015 20:26:12 -0600

Hi All~~

I've been watching the PBS series, The Great British Baking Show, on my
local PBS.org channel. It's truly amazing how intricate and complicated
some of their dishes are!! The series has been divided up into breads,
cakes, pies and tarts, etc. Tonight was pies and tarts and after watching,
I thought, wow, some of these recipes would perhaps work for all of us GF
foodies. We could come up with new dishes that are particularly suited
using GF ingredients.

The thing that jumped out at me tonight was the way in which the cooks made
their meat pies. What wouldn't work for us was that the crust was a puff
pastry. However, they used a variety of meats and none of them had a sauce
or gravy like our chicken pot pie. They combined cooked meats and fruit and
veggies within the crusts. The fillings were dry enough that one could
slice a piece of pie and take it with them on a walk...just holding the
slice in their hand. If our pie crusts weren't too delicate, we could use a
standard pie crust and not have to worry about the gravies we use in our
meat pies.

The one part of the series I missed was bread and crackers, which I would
have dearly loved to see. The url for me to watch back episodes and get
recipes is: pbs.org/food  I would think the address would be the same for
all of you who get a pbs station.

I don't plan a summary. This was simply a note to my listmates that the
Brits may have some wonderful ways for us to make new dishes!! I do plan to
search the internet for more British cuisine in the hopes of finding new
gems.

Cheers~~Ayn in Kansas