From:
Hilary Shughart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hilary Shughart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:08:51 -0600

On Monday, March 20, 2006, The Wall Street Journal Report ran an article
under "Taking control": Unsolved Mystery - Despite all of modern
medicine's powers, some illnesses still defy diagnosis, by David P.
Hamilton (page R6). I am not an online subscriber so I can't provide a
link to the article, but wanted to let everyone know about it. What is
particularly interesting is that this fellow was biopsy-diagnosed,
improved rapidly on the gf diet, and then, during follow-up at a new
Celiac Disease clinic at Stanford University, was told that he did not
have CD after all, as he had neither of the common genes, and the
original biopsy slide did not show infiltration of the villi with
immune-system cells, "a subtle but important characteristic of Celiac
disease" (making one wonder why the original lab read it as positive).
Long story short, he went back to gluten and has not had any further
problems. He had lost a lot of weight and was really sick and tired, was
negative for anything tested for in terms of parasites, and responded
rapidly to the gf diet. Makes me wonder if any gut episodes would
respond well to a break from gluten. Also makes me wonder whether he
really does have it, but with a third gene, and it has gone into remission.

Hilary