From:
Laura Johnson-Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 1995 11:37:01 -0500

We recently found out about a possible incidence of Marfan's syndrome on the
side of my family that the celiac disease apparently comes from.  Both my
grandmother and her eldest son (my uncle) had celiac-type bowel complaints
all their lives, and both died of the heart defect associated with Marfan's
syndrome.  Usually Marfan's is characterized by great height (my family is
pretty short to have "real" Marfan's, with men running a measly 6' 4" or
6'5").  Most of you may have heard of Marfan's in connection with young
basketball stars dropping dead on the courts of heart problems.

Does anyone on this list know of any connection?  I have been wondering if
my relatives might have had "stunted growth" from the malabsorption
associated with celiac disease, and in cd's absence might have been tall
enough to be more classic cases of Marfan's.

Please e-mail me directly and I will post a summary of responses to the
list.  My address is [log in to unmask]  Thank you!

Laura Johnson-Kelly
Ithaca, NY, USA