From:
Bev Lieven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 1 Jul 2006 11:32:47 EDT

In a message dated 7/1/2006 7:28:48 AM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I have tried calling Lakefront Brewery several times this week and got no
> answer, I also left messages and no response.

This is a bad week to try to contact people in Milwaukee's food & beverage
sector.

Summerfest, the 'World's Largest Music Festival-- http://www.summerfest.com/
started on Thursday and continues through next Saturday...Businesses that are
sponsors or vendors are very, very busy.  (Milwaukee is the City of Festivals
and Summerfest is followed by a series of festivals every weekend through
early September.)

According to an article in the Milwaukee paper..."New Grist, a gluten-free
beer. Available at its Sports Bar in the center of the Summerfest grounds."  A
check of their website looks like they have also booked extra tours this week
and probably next to accommodate visitors in town for the "Big Gig."

The Lakefront's homepage www.lakefrontbrewery.com has been redone and now
headlines New Grist w/ a link to more information.  Interestingly, it mentions
that each batch of New Grist is tested for gluten prior to fermentation.
Testing for gluten after fermentation is not reliable since the small peptide chains
that fermentation yields can be toxic to celiacs even though they can't be
detected by the testing process. The risk of gluten being added during
fermentation process is most unlike because everything has to be meticulously clean to
keep out stray yeast and bacteria that will ruin the brew.

Bev in Milwaukee