From:
Kit Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kit Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2008 15:02:33 -0400

I have been biopsy diagnosed with celiac disease since May, 2002, and with
Graves' disease since September of that same year after a bout with
hyperthyroidism.

But the first problem I ever had...WAY before diagnosis was brain fog, and
loss of some cognitive abilities along with a slight tremor. I had digestive
problems for a long time too, but they didn't impact my life nearly as
badly, so I rarely complained to physicians about them.

Now that I've been on a gluten free diet for six years, my digestion is back
to normal, my antibody tests are perfect, and an endoscopy two years ago
showed full healing on the villi biopsies.

Trouble is, i still have periods where I become functionally disabled
because of dizziness, nausea, migraines, visual perception disturbances
(can't drive). I also experience in various levels: fatigue, bladder control
problems, times where I swallow food, drink or saliva wrong and I choke,
insomnia, leg muscle weakness, grip failure, word order problems, emotional
lability, a physically inhibiting tendency toward muscle spasms, stuttering
and can't walk in a straight line without a lot of effort. I have lost the
ability to exercise due to muscle weakness overnight when the day before I
could work out for an hour and a half straight.

I have come to believe that this may all be due to autoimmune brain
inflammation. I believe it's called "steroid-responsive encephalopathy
associated with autoimmune thyroiditis. " or SREAT. Others call it
Hashimoto's encephalitis  because of a concurrence with thyroid antibodies,
but I don't think a link has been established.

I'd like to know how many of us get this sort of attack...post gluten free
diet and after healing of the gut has occurred. I know a lot of us have had
CNS symptoms that clear up on the diet.

This group has been wonderful, a key player in my healing. Many thanks to
all of you.

Kit Kellison

*******
*******