From:
Nancy Kloberdanz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 20:35:40 EDT

2007 6th Annual Community Awareness Event
Hosted by Bellingham Gluten  Intolerance Group of Whatcom County, Washington
On Saturday, November 3,  2007
From 11 AM to 3 PM
At Ferndale Senior Center, Cherry St., Ferndale,  WA
Admission: FREE

The annual Community Awareness Event is the crown jewel of our public
outreach program. The 2007 speaker is Dr. Wendy Ellis, ND is an associate from  the
Tahoma Clinic, founded by Dr. Johnathan Wright, well-known
physician/advisor/writer for Prevention magazine. Her topic will be "Gluten  Intolerance " Not
Just a Digestive Disorder!" Gluten allergy and  sensitivity has been on the
rise for many years now. Fortunately, both  alternative and mainstream medicine
are beginning to recognize this is not  "just" a food allergy, but is indicated
in many physiological symptoms outside  of the gastrointestinal tract. It is
my goal to work with patients to not only  help them understand that this is
not just your typical allergy, but a disease  that has significant impact on
the complete human physiology. I believe that one  of my most important roles as
a medical practitioner is educating patients on  their condition and the
methods of treat me - Dr. Wendy Ellis, ND

This event is focused primarily to the general public in an effort to
increase awareness for this very serious condition. Each year we feature a guest
speaker/presentor (past speakers have included Bette Hagman, the Gluten Free
Gourmet; Cynthia Kupper, Exec. Director of GIG; Yvonne Gifford of Glutenfreeda;
Dr. Mystique Grobe, ND, Bellingham; and Kaili McIntyre of Wheatless in
Seattle.  Last year this event was attended by over 150 individuals. With an
undiagnosed  rate of 95% for Celiac Disease, we hope that more and more people can be
helped  by learning about this condition.

Other activities include a manufacturer goodie bag for attendees, gluten
free book and bake sale, gluten free refreshments, silent auction and a
reference table. Last year our "ask the nutritionist" corner was so popular that  we
have added "ask the naturopathic physician" to our resource area. We are also
introducing a panel discussion for a question and answer period with health
care  individuals who serve on our board and Dr. Wendy Ellis. Ron Hoggan, MA,
co-author of Dangerous Grains, will also be sitting on the panel.

The Bellingham Gluten Intolerance Group serves the NW corner of the state  of
Washington including Whatcom, Skagit and Island Counties as well as
individuals from British Columbia, Canada. BGIG offers support, recipes,  information
and networking for those suffering from reactions of any sort to  wheat, rye
and barley, in addition to those who care for those individuals. We  welcome
everyone to attend our meetings and events. You do not have to be a  member to
join us.

For more information on Celiac Disease:
_http://www.digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/celiac/index.htm_
(http://www.digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/celiac/index.htm)

Dr. Wendy Ellis, ND: _http://www.tahoma-clinic.com/index.shtml_
(http://www.tahoma-clinic.com/index.shtml)

Contact Information: Kelle A. Rankin-Sunter 360-332-7435

Bellingham Gluten Intolerance Group (BGIG)
Post Office Box  28894
Bellingham, WA 98828-0894
Email: [log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])
_www.GlutenFreeway.info_ (http://www.GlutenFreeway.info)