From:
Holly Martz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 18:04:10 EDT

A couple of you wrote to add to my summary:

1)  Advil, Motrin, and Tylenol should NEVER be combined with alcohol.  Don't
use them to get over a hangover either (severe liver damage and/or kidney
damage may result).  Use only plain aspirin. . . .

2)  Aspirin and other NSAIDs can cause GI bleeding WITHOUT pain or GI
symptoms.  Stool will usually have traces of blood in it however, if this is
true.

My note:  My professors have told me that some companies have recently
started making COATED aspirin (ask the pharmacist if you aren't sure whether
a given aspirin is coated or not).  I am not sure which companies/brands coat
their aspirin, but I have been told by physicians that coated aspirin will
NOT cause GI bleeding.  If you take aspirin rarely, you should not have GI
bleeding.  However, if you take it on a regular basis (to prevent heart
attacks, for example) you should DEFINITELY be using the coated kind.
Statisticians have determined that the SERIOUSNESS of GI bleeds far outweighs
the benefits from using aspirin to prevent heart attacks, UNLESS you have had
previous heart attacks or have a strong family history of heart attacks.
Again, this is in regards to the uncoated kind only.

One more thing--too much aspirin can cause hearing loss.  If you hear ringing
in your ears a lot, that is evidence that the "hair cells" in your ear
(responsible for hearing) are dying (they cannot be replaced).  As far as I
know, EVEN COATED aspirin can cause hearing loss if taken too often.

Holly