From:
"Lorry B. Getz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:18:19 -0700

Hi,

I'm hoping you can help me out here.  My sister's 3 month old baby has
had diahrrea for nearly a month, and she is purely breastfed.  This
raises a lot of questions about the possibility of celiac disease in my
mind.  It initially began when she got her first cold and ear infection.
(the diahrrea started before the antibiotics started)...and we thought
it was viral and would go away once she recovered and was off
antibiotics.  This is not the case, the diahrrea has continued.   Is it
possible for a breastfed baby this young to be exhibiting celiac
symptoms?  My sister says it's impossible for anything allergenic to
pass through the mother's milk.  The baby is not a fussy or colicky baby
at all.

The reason I'm concerned is my own 2 year old is a confirmed celiac as
is my father, although my son did not exhibit symptoms til after he was
6 months old (when we began solids) he was finally diagnosed at 13
months via biopsy although bloodwork was negative, and my father was not
diagnosed via biopsy until he was in his 40's.

Please, let me know if it is possible for a breastfed baby as young as 3
months of age to exhibit celiac symptoms.

Thanks for your help!
Robin in CO