From:
Michelle Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:41:24 -0700

I'm going to give you a little background because it might help someone
figure out what is wrong with my son.  He was born at 7.5 pounds and by 3
months weighed about 13 pounds.  At about 4 months he started eating baby
foods in addition to breast-feeding and his growth started to slow down. He
had diarrhea most of the time and was vomiting about 3 days out of every 3
weeks.  Occasionally his face will swell up for no apparent reason.  We
figured out it was the dairy that was making him vomit and removed that from
his diet the first of October.  Now at 23 months he only weighs 20 pounds
and is 31.5 inches tall.  He still has diarrhea a lot of the time but not
always.  His diaper area is sore to touch (he shakes and cries that it hurts
when I change his diaper) but it appears to be normal skin.  At the start of
November we were sent to a pediatric gastroenterologist and she told us our
sons IgA and IgG both came back positive indicating celiac and the blood
test indicating some sort of allergy also came back positive.  I can't
remember what that test was called.  An endoscopy was done and the doctor
said at the time my son's small intestine was red, swollen, and abnormal but
she needed to wait for the biopsy to come back to see if it was celiac.  The
biopsy came back and showed there was no significant damage so the diagnosis
was that it is not celiac (I was given this information by a nurse and don't
get to talk to the doctor until January.  The nutritionist told me to give
my son as many calories as I can and see if he will grow.  I have always
tried to give him as many calories as I can.  I was then told they will do
the blood tests again in May and that was that.  So my question is, what
else could he have that would fit?  Does anyone know if the IgA and IgG
indicate anything else?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Michelle