From:
jayne amani <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jayne amani <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:21:41 -0800

There is a pretty good possibility that my 16 month
old son and I have celiacs.  I am a type I diabetic
and started reading about celiacs about four years
ago.  I was completely convinced that I had it, but
then, after being gluten free for four months, was
convinced by my doctor that I didn't because I tested
negative for the antibodies.  I kind of knew better,
but I think I really wanted him to be right...  So, my
son had had mucousy poop for many months and i tried
eliminating all of the usual culprits and the only
thing that helped was going wheat free.  His doctor
thinks that the mucous problem and the fact that he
has not gained any weight in the last four months is
reason enough to treat celiacs as a serious
possibility.  On the one hand, those symptoms don't
seem like much to go on so I'm a little reluctant to
buy into it.  But, at the same time I have long
suspected that I am celiac and have suspected that
whatever his digestive issues are, they are probably
the same ones that I've had for most of my life, too.
So, yesterday both of us had the antibody testing done
and today we're going gluten free.

Now for the Q:  I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by
the idea of the diet.  The last time i did it, i was
very gung ho and put a ton of energy into it and did
stuff like cooking every single thing i ate from
scratch.  But i just don't feel like i have the time
or energy for that now.  So, i'd like to find two or
three easy snacky things i can carry around with us
for those times when someone else brings cookies to
playgroup.  I feel like i used to have a list of brand
name grocery store items that were gluten free, but
now i can't find it.  Does anyone have a link for
that?  Or just a brand of yogurt that's safe or an
idea for a widely available snacky food?  And, i saw
in the faq section the mcdonald's fries were gluten
free as of 1999.  Does anyone know if they are still
gf?  If not i'm thinking in&out fries must be gf
because they don't have any other items that they fry
in oil.  How about things like fritos and corn
tortilla chips?

Thanks for reading!

Jayne