From:
Kathleen Curet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathleen Curet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 13:45:45 -0800

Hello Listmates,

I'm sorry its taken me so long to get this summary in...busy, busy.

-I wrote to Oral B to ask if their prophy paste is gf and have not yet
heard from them.  I will call on Monday.  The following is what I learned
from listmembers:

-Oral-B toothpaste is GF but there is a chance of cross contamination...(a
listmember contacted oral-B sometime ago and got that information)

-Nupro prophy paste is GF

-Topax topical used prior to novicaine shot is only GF in pina colada
flavor, unflavored is best to use.

For polishing/cleaning there were several suggestions:

-Bring your own toothpaste for the hygenist to use - the way in which teeth
are cleaned is more important than which product is used to clean.

-Have hygenist mix plain pumice (unflavored) w/ gf toothpaste to clean,

-Use only pumice mixed w/ water for cleaning; it flies all over, but that
is a small price to pay.

Other suggestions were:

-The mouthwash can also be a problem...LISTERINE and SCOPE are GF.

-Oral-B Dental Floss is not GF, (I didn't even think of that!)

-Johnson&Johnson dental floss is GF.

The last and but surprisingly obvious source of contamination suggested is
the POWDERED gloves.  It was suggested that they may be dusted w/ oat flour
or other unsafe powders.

That's about everything I learned - there is information in the archives,
as well, with phone numbers for companies, etc.

 Tomorrow is my son's turn at the dentist and I will call ahead to make
arrangements.  When I originally called the hygenist to ask about possible
offending ingredients she said, "Oh, I don't see anything with wheat in the
ingredients, its all pretty simple." but when I mentioned ingredients like
"calcium caseinate" and "triticum turanicum" (another name for oriental
wheat), she said she'd let me look at the ingredients...hee hee.  They just
don't realize the hidden sources, so hitting them with the big long
scientific names makes them willing to turn it over to me to decide on;-).

Anyway, one more thing learned...on to the next challenge!

Thanks so much for all the suggestions, this list is invaluable!!!!

Kate