From:
Ayn Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 19:30:37 -0500

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about whether or not
Arrowhead Mills brown rice flour was gf - and being lactose intolerant,
can I eat butter without a problem?

Re: the Arrowhead Mills brown rice flour, most of you were skeptical,
some said it was not gf, and two people said they had problems with it.
Consequently, I took it back, unopened, and will go with Ener-G foods,
which many of you recommended.

Re: butter when one is lactose intolerant, I received many good
better than margarine, and several of you indicated you liked Shedds
Willow Run Soy Margarine. I don't much care for the taste of butter and
my cholesterol is just a bit high, so I bought some Willow Run
margarine. It tasted a bit salty, but other than that, it was very good
- not at all what I expected.

Since I've not yet been officially diagnosed as celiac, I'm doing the gf
diet for three or four days to see how things go. This is my first day
and I've discovered I am most uncomfortable after drinking the non-dairy
gf and lactose-free milk, Vitamite. It contains milk protein and sugars,
so this may be a very big problem for me. I should get the results of my
blood tests May 5, so am paying very close attention to my reactions to
everything I put in my mouth. I've also decided to eat one thing at a
time, just to avoid confusing the issue. It takes a long time to eat a
meal this way, but I'm hoping to find out something I didn't know
before.

Thanks, again, to everyone...eventually, I'll get most of it figured
out. Oh, yes, tonight I'm trying my hand at yet *another* loaf of gf
bread in my bread machine - think this is my fourth attempt in two days.
If I get it right, I'll post the recipe and directions for the Regal
K6750.

Ayn.