Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 23:05:42 -0500

Hi friends,
Of the 15 responses I received, only two people mentioned they had heard of
whole wheat sprouts.  <1>Sprouting wheat and other grain seeds seem to have
the protein broken down for easier digestion.  Many people who are allergic
or intolerant of wheat can handle the sprouts but it depends on the
individual.  <2>One other person mentioned that "young grasses" of wheat,
barley and oat straw, with very healthful benefits are GF.

The overall response was that barley (no matter what the size of the plant)
and whole wheat sprouts are NOT GLUTEN-FREE.  So they should be avoided.  If
you are not a sensitive Celiac then maybe you could handle these grains
mentioned but as for me...I will not feed them to my Celiac children.
Basically the lady at the health food store was trying to sell her products.
She obviously does not have the correct knowledge regarding gluten.  I knew
she was wrong but I thought I'd run this experience past you all because it
kind of scared me.  I started thinking that...what if a newly diagnosed
Celiac went into that store to buy some "safe" glutenfree food and this
particular lady sold these items, claiming they were indeed
glutenfree....DANGEROUS.  I'm not really sure how to remedy this situation.
I did call our dietician and warned her about the misinformation I received
at this store.