From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 18:40:36 EST

My birthday is this weekend. When I arrived home from work, my husband had a
surprise. He baked me a gf strawberry shortcake, from scratch. (I'm the one
with celiac, and I'm always saying that the only two things I really miss are
strawberry shortcake and real pizza.)

He used the recipe from The Gluten-Free Kitchen by Roben Ryberg. For
strawberry shortcake, she recommends her sponge cake recipe and whipped cream
recipe. He used a 10 inch (spring form) pan, although the recipe calls for a
10 inch tube pan. He sliced it into three layers and filled it with homemade
whipped cream and sliced, fresh strawberries. He iced the cake with whipped
cream and decorated it with more berries. (The hardest part, I'm told, was
finding fresh strawberries.)

Although he's done some cooking before, he's never made anything like this.
When I saw it, I thought he got it from a bakery...and was quite convinced
that it couldn't be gf. He even bought large cardboard cake circles to use
under the cake, but concerned about the glue that the cardboard might have in
it, he covered it with waxed paper.

The cookbook is easy to get at bookstores or from the publisher, Prima
Publishing, 1-800-632-8676.... Sorry, I don't rent out my husband!

Enjoy.
Lin