From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2014 23:56:24 -0400

Here are some responses from our wonderful list mates.  I fly USAir, and they usually have a go picnic box snack that is gf, but I always bring my own food.  It’s coming home that’s the problem, because I’ll be getting off a ship and having several hours of no-food, at the airport..and nothing to bring with me on the plane.  I’m hoping I can keep some gf food with me in my luggage, on the ship, to last me for the trip home.  They usually frown on it, but I’m going to try. I’m not crossing borders where I have to worry, and I’m not talking about fresh produce or restricted products….more like protein bars and protein shake mix that I can put in a bottle of water. Maybe my usual packets of tuna.  And I found a blueberry, pre-cooked, packaged quinoa cereal at Whole Foods that is reasonably edible in a pinch, a very desperate pinch. Not my favorite.  I’ll also try to scrounge up some gf food on the ship before getting off the ship.  I hope there will be time for early breakfast.  I’ve only taken two cruises, and I forget if we eat before we get off.  Thanks again. Lin

http://www.findmeglutenfree.com/us/wa/seatac#

http://ultimateglutenfree.com/2011/02/washington-airports/

Erin smith of gffun and gf globetrotter just posted a blog about gf eating in airports. Think she included Seattle in her listing.  http://glutenfreeglobetrotter.com/resources/international/

I had a layover in Seattle airport last year and ate at Wendy's with no problem.  They have a gluten free (ingredients) menu posted on-line -- but not at the airport so you might want arrange to have access to it while you travel. http://www.wendys.com/redesign/wendys/pdf/en_US_gluten_free_list.pdf

Here's a link to a page with GF options for various airports including Seattle. http://glutenfreeville.com/featured/gluten-free-airport-fare

There is a Wendy's with gf options.  Chili, potato.
Qdoba has a burrito bowl. Rice beans and meats are all GF

1) www.findmeglutenfree.com- great site, type in city and state or zip code, this site even has a "dedicated facilities" search, for places that are completely GF
2) www.glutenfreetravelsite.com- good site too- no dedicated facilities search
3) www.allergyeats.com-great site for GF and Food Allergies
4) www.happycow.net-Vegan Site

SEA  is a pretty big place – there are trains to get you around, but it takes time.
So: which airline(s)?  Do you know which gate(s)?  How long will you have?
Here’s a map: A, B, C, and D are self-explanatory and contiguous; North and South require rail transport.

Here’s a current link to which restaurants are where: http://seatacshops.com/eat

And some 2012 comments from the Gluten Girl and the Chef:

You’re not going to find much gluten-free food, or even anything healthy, in most airports.

You have to plan ahead. Pack your own food, if you can. (That’s easier when leaving from home than coming back.) Scout out locations in specific airports that might have a smoothie place, a menu that includes fresh vegetables, something other than packaged crap. Ask this on Twitter. It’s amazing the answers you’ll receive.

Eat where you can. Believe it or not, Wendy’s has a gluten-free menu. Listen, I’m no big fan of fast food. However, when you’re hungry and stuck in airport, a baked potato with broccoli and cheese and a salad with avocado ranch dressing sounds pretty good. Also, I’m not a big fan of packaged foods, but Frito-Lay has gone to good lengths to be aware of special dietary needs. And recently, they have been testing their snacks with an analytical test called R-Biopharm RIDASCREEN Gliaden/Gluten, the test recommended by the Food Allergy Research & Resource Program. Fritos, which are only made of corn, oil, and salt, are gluten-free. Believe me, they have come in handy for me before.

You know that airplanes don’t seem to serve food anymore, so there’s no point in expecting a gluten-free meal. However, some airlines are better than others. I’m thrilled that Alaska Airlines has started selling a gluten-free snack pack on its flights. They sent us one a couple of months ago to see what we thought. Olives, hummus, multi-grain crackers, almonds, a fruit leather, and dark chocolate? Yes, please. I wish we were flying on Alaska each time we travel this summer, just for that pack.

Also, the ease of your eating seems to depend on the airport you land in. When I was down in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago, I was astonished to see an organic cafe and a Napa farmers’ market stand in the middle of the airport. There, I’d have no problem.

http://glutenfreegirl.com/2011/05/gluten-free-in-airports/