From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 18:44:10 -0500

I haven't had clam chowder in years, but my husband and my very picky non-gf
family love my fish chowder and they swear it tastes just like really good
clam chowder. Here's my version the recipe from The Feingold Cookbook for
Hyperactive Children (out-of-print, as far as I know).  I've made several
changes over the years.

Slightly undercook 4-5 cubed, peeled potatoes, either on the stove or in
microwave, in just enough water to cover the potatoes.

While potatoes cook:
In a deep pot (that has a lid), sauté on medium to low heat, in 3 tbs butter
or margarine, with a little oil to keep it from burning,
1-2 onions, peeled and diced
1 cup of sliced button mushrooms (optional)
2-3 cloves of peeled, smushed garlic (optional)
1 diced stalk celery
2 diced carrots, peeled or not peeled
Stir well and keep on medium to low heat. Stir periodically to keep bottom
from burning.
When the veggies look like they're starting to soften, quickly stir in about
a half cup of your favorite gluten-free flour (no xanthan gum, no extras,
just flour). I usually use white rice flour. I've tried potato starch and it
gets too gelatinous.
Definitely on low heat, add 1 quart of milk....your favorite kind. I use a
mix of Lactaid fat free and regular milk, to cut down on the lactose
reaction I sometimes get. But you can use soy, whatever. Make sure you
scrape the bottom when stirring.

While this warms (DO NOT let it boil.) Add about 2 tbs of fresh cod or
halibut, cut into chunks. (I cut them on paper plates, so I don't get raw
fish in my cutting boards.)

Mush the potatoes down a little in their own water and add the potatoes and
the water in which they cooked to the pot....carefully. It's hot. It
splashes.

Stir in fresh ground pepper and Old Bay Seasoning. I'm very generous with
these.
Stir in fresh (diced up) or dried dill and parsley, and maybe a leaf or
basil, diced up, if you have fresh basil.
And the secret ingredient....a few splashes of Worcestershire sauce. The
recipe calls for soy sauce, but I prefer Worcestershire.
You may have to try tasting the chowder, as you add the flavorings. I'm
sorry, I just do it by feel. I've been making it for over 30 years. And it's
a personal choice.

You'll notice, I don't add salt. The Old Bay is very salty. If you're using
less Old Bay, you will need to salt the chowder.

I'm sorry, but I'll have to defer to the list for how to substitute clams
for the fresh fish. I keep a kosher home, so I don't bring shellfish into
the house.

But the fish chowder....everyone loves it. It will keep refrigerated for
several days, but you cannot freeze it, because of the milk.

Lin