From:
Claire Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Claire Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Sep 2013 21:47:06 -0400

I received a number of responses about my inquiry about a possible connection between TN and celiac disease or gluten sensitivity. The responses were a mixed bag. I've included them below and I'll pass the info along to my friend.

Thanks!
Claire

Let's Connect!

www.clairebakerok.com
www.facebook.com/HappyHealthyGlutenFree
www.twitter.com/Clairebakerok
www.meetup.com/Gluten-free-in-Delaware-County
http://www.youtube.com/user/clairebakerOK

From people with TN:
I have trigeminal neuralgia, and it has been almost entirely un-symptomatic since going gluten-free. I have the atypical TGN, which would give me migraines, split exactly down one side of my face, that would last, literally, for 3 months at a time. Looking back, I can't even believe I functioned in so much pain!

I haven't read about any connection but I also have both.  Tell your friend if she has frequent flare ups that there is a medicine that really helped me stop flare ups.  I haven't had one in over 18 months.  I'm sorry I can't remember the name but I used it daily for a couple of months and then stopped and haven't had trouble since.  A neurologist would probably know what it was.  If she is interested and can't find the name, give her my email and I'll try to find out from my pharmacy.

The basic cause of Trigeminal Neuralgia is a dislocated jaw hinge joint. There is no connection with celiac or gluten intolerance. Your friend needs to find a chiropractor familiar with this condition. How do I know? Because I had it in my right jaw. Medical doctors are only trained to correct this with surgery… I fell in the carport onto a concrete floor on my right side. Went

first to my chiropractor & he took an x-ray of my shoulder. He said "I think you have a fractured collarbone so I think you  should go to the hospital." As it turned out the collarbone wasn't broken but was badly bruised.

I have it and it's not related at all to gluten intolerance - google it - lots of info - they call it the suicide disease.

I know quite a few people with celiac disease and three of them have/had trigeminal neuritis. Two are now deceased and one had a neoprene sheath surgically placed on her trigeminal nerve and it seems to have fixed the problem.

About autoimmune disease and inflammation, butnot specifically TN

Tell your friend to doan honest GF trial. Gluten affects us in so many ways. I did not have TN but Idid have sciatic nerve pain for years that totally resolved when I got offgluten. It can be very surprising what gluten can damage. Also myperipheral neuropathy pain resolved. I don't remember how long it took for mySciatic pain to resolve. Ut it took 18 months for my PN pain to go completely away. But I knew within the month I was in the right track.

I would also suggest during this trial to start with real foods.When I did that I discovered quite quickly that I did not feel as well when Iate all the alternative grain products.

Considering how very common neurologicaldisorders are associated with celiac disease and non-celiac glutensensitivity, it is wise of your friend to consider an association.
You can find some studies here at the pubmed link:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Trigeminal+Neuralgia+and+celiac+disease
You may also want to listen to this interview that discussesneurological disorders - a conversation between Dr. O'Bryan and Sean Croxton ofUnderground Wellness: http://undergroundwellness.com/?s=dr.+tom+o%27bryan&go=GO

TheSecret Weapon in Treating Neurological Disorders

there is a connection of MS and Lupus to Celiac Disease, tothere you have it!

My celiac disease was initially diagnosed as MS in 2006. Check the letter
regarding celiac and multiple sclerosis in the March 2010 Lancet Neurology
journal.