Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:19:54 -0400

Thank you for your responses about Costa Rica.  Here is a summary of the e-mails that I received:

 I made a visit to San Jose last Aug.  The trip was great and I had no evidence of any issues while there.  I stayed at a private housing 'camp' and the food was prepared by folks from the States.  They handled my meals with no problem.  We ate out frequently in multiple restaurants.  I chose salads and grilled chicken which I was told was fresh and no extra stuff added.  I had plenty of fresh fruit and salad - I need to emphasize that.  I took food with me - fruit cups, cereal bars, canned tuna and chicken - crackers and cheese _ took a small cooler bag with ice for the trip and filled with ice each day.  My trip lasted 8 days and when I returned home I was not 'right' for 3 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I became very ill with digestive issues and to say nothing of the constant bathroom trips! I was very concerned, had multiple test including every bacterial and parasite the Dr could think of.  Nothing showed up, even did the whole series on Hep.! Nothing - my Dr felt the heavy consumption of fresh salads and fresh vegetables may have been the problem.  My Dr travels out of the country on medical mission trips regularly and she will not eat any uncooked foods ever!!! She said no one on her team ever does.  They fill if it is not cooked it can't be trusted.  So I may never know what caused the problem.  I will be visiting again in Feb - going to another location - this time I will handle the food consumption a little differently.  I certainly don't want another 3 months of what I experienced.  I was diagnosed 9 yrs ago and this was my first out of the country trip since the diagnosis.
________________-
we did just fine in costa rice, although we stayed in a very small town west of san jose on the coast...a little resort.  can't remember the name just now, but it was great.  same as in the states, really, just have to ask.  so many of the people speak english, it was surprising, and they are very eager to please, very understanding.  i brought the restaurant card but found that i didn't really use it...seemed a little to condesending.  I would write down the spanish words for flour, wheat, barley, etc.  even find a way to say cooking surfaces must be untouched by harina (wheat) products, etc., due to cross contamination.  the restaurant card didn't say that. costa rica has a very educated, literate population so they catch on quick.  what a difference from mexico.
My wife & I honeymooned in Costa Rica in July.  We went on a planned trip, and I brought a card written in Spanish, as well as English.  I have attached the card I made & used in Costa Rica.  As anywhere, start with talking to your tour guide and the management of the resturant/hotel.  My wife called the hotel/resorts before we booked our trip, so we could be sure they can accommodate.  Also, one server kept saying everything had "Salsa de Ketsup" on it.  Needless to say, I didn't believe her & asked the tour guide to talk to someone who would take this seriously.
Costa Rica is an EASY place to travel if you have celiac. I have been there
twice this year with no problems. Almost everything is made from corn, lots of
seafood, beans, eggs, fresh fruits (not many veggies), rice. Very few processed
foods. The Ticos have no tradition of baking so you won't be tempted by those
goodies. I don't remember the word for wheat flour - harina de something or
other - learn that  before you go. Not hard to shop in a grocery store.