From:
Dreamee Dog <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dreamee Dog <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 2016 19:45:48 -0500

SUMMARY

Honestly, this is the response that was expected. No one was in agreement with the author. Personal information is removed. Comments listed below.

Thanks to all that shared their thoughts.

Dreamee Dog

Wow - I found this to be shocking. As I understand it from our doctor, gluten is essentially poison to our daughter. So to me, it's like saying, well, we found out there is poison in her food, but hey, she seems to be OK so we are just going to continue, Seems very selfish on the part of the parent. As someone who can eat gluten, having to move our family to a gluten free diet and watch her stand on the sidelines at birthday parties, etc. where she can't partake in the same things as her friends, it is certainly not easy or fun. But that's what we signed up for as parents - to take the best possible care of our children and be responsible for their health and well-being. I particularly find it interesting that this seems so acceptable, that it's been published by a mainstream paper. She's also done harm to people who are compliant. Imagine our friends and family reading this and thinking we are the odd ones for being so careful. Thanks for sharing.
###

It is essential for the child to learn to manage her disease, and crazy for a parent to hinder that process.  The parent needs to get real.
###

I am an asymptomatic Celiac.  No stomach pains, no diarreah, etc.  The
only symptom I had was a low red-cell blood count, in spite of eating
lots of red meats and other iron iron-rich foods.  My very smart
primary physician refered me to a Gastroenterologist, who diagnosed me
as Celiac based on anti-body tests.  If I had not been diagnosed 10
years ago and switched to a gluten-free diet, I probably would have
osteoporosis and many more problems by now.
###

Wow, thanks for sharing. My gut reaction "huh, it's too bad she's not giving her daughter much credit." My 7yo understands my diagnosis and understands that she must be periodically tested to check her levels. She understands the danger and risk I face navigating the food in a restaurant. She knows how to check labels when we're out shopping. She revels in finding something new at the grocery that we might try.  She is my fiercest defender in ferreting out whether or not something might be safe for me.

Children are wonderful, thoughtful, and resilient beings.

Give them the credit they deserve!

(And this doesn't include my personal rant about easing in and health and whatnot)

Yikes!
###

The daughter WASN’T asymptomatic. She had stomachaches! Maybe the mother should walk around with her stomach hurting much of the time and then decide how asymptomatic that is. Geesh. I think the mother is unbelievably selfish. Yes, selfish. She SAYS she was trying to help her daughter but I think she was mostly trying to avoid having to deal with it herself. Just my opinion. My son was diagnosed at 20 months and it now a healthy 18 year old who is heading to college soon.
###

How irresponsible and damaging to the child's long term health.  Like pretending you don't know 2nd hand smoke is hazardous and continuing to smoke around your babies.  Or like withholding life-saving medication your child needs.  Just my opinion ...
###

This article burns me up.  That the husband "runs an association of
gastroenterologists" implies that he is a gastroenterologist and didn't have
suspicion of celiac disease for his own daughter with Hashimoto's and then
further didn't take his daughter's diagnosis seriously and looked to his
colleagues for an easy out- it is a sad commentary on the medical
profession, or at least this doctor.  The mother just didn't want to deal
with it, not thinking in terms of what was best for her daughter.
###

I feel like I am that girl. I have both hashimotos and celiac.

3 years ago now my son decided to stop eating gluten on his own, because he thought it would make him feel better. He was 9. He feels so much better. The 14 year old has a harder time because he had embarrassing symptoms when he eats gluten. Yet--they don't test celiac in their blood work and their doc rolls his eyes.

I was dX in 1973. I was lucky but the med community was uninformed. It was said in adolescence I would grow out of it.

In 1997 I met my sweet hubby. I mentioned when I traveled I had to avoid gluten. (For some reason I was bothered more then. ). I loved my 115 pound body. He researched it to cook for me and I've been gluten free ever since 😃😃.
###

*******
*******