From:
Walter & Susan Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 22:56:14 -0600

Trisha,

My daughter Grace is not celiac but has the other gluten intolerance which
does not involve immunoglobulins, but seems to be a toxicological reaction
to gluten and milk protein fragments.  She was nowhere near being potty
trained at her fourth birthday, but the next week she and I quit eating
wheat, and she immediately became bowel and urinary trained with no effort
on my part.  We've only had a few slip-ups on the diet, and both times they
involved potty accidents the next day.

Oh, and incidentally, my father who has alzheimers, also had urinary and
bowel incontinence clear up after he got off of gluten and milk, though he
has frequent dietary slipups, which, if they are significant, end up causing
him serious incontinency problems.

I don't know why it couldn't be possible to have both kinds of problems with
gluten.  In fact, if the leaky gut might be something that develops first
(my idea folks, totally speculative) before the immune system gets involved,
then it might still hang around after celiac happens.

By the way, Grace has had her first UTI, and a specimen is being cultured
right now to see if she is over it.  Because of my own exotic autoimmune
history, I'm very reluctant to give her the second antibiotic her doctor is
recommending because of the autoimmune side-effects that are listed in the
PDR.  She has just gotten over the chicken pox a month ago and her immune
system has since gone nuts.  It is in overdrive and her eyes are still dilated.

Does any one have any tales of success/distaste for Macrodantin
(nitrofurantoin)?  If you do have a tale or advice to tell, email me
quickly, please, as the decision to use it or not will be made by Saturday
when the culture comes back.

Thanks, friends,

Susan Owens
                            (Walter & Susan Owens)