From:
ABIGAIL NEUMAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 18:29:12 -0500

List of some oriental foods which may contain gluten.  This is for
information only.  Please do not send comments to me, I am overloaded
with other more pressing emails to sort through on other topics.

Sources:
http://www.veg.org/veg/Orgs/VegSocUK/Info/soya.html
http://www.mothernature.com/Family/NightShift/Eden/glos.htm
http://www.sushi.infogate.de/lang.htm
http://www.cuisinenet.com/glossary/miso.html

The following foods may contain wheat or barley.  Some of these may
surprise you.  Some I have seen them listed as safe on other postings.

Soya Sauces--made by fermenting soya beans with cracked wheat
Miso--can be made using either rice or barley
Koji--can contain barley because it comes from Miso
Mirin--contains Koji which comes from Miso (possible barley)
Shoyu--contains wheat and Koji (possible barley)
Amazake--contains Koji (possible barley)
Fu--dried wheat gluten product
Moromi--contains Koji (possible barley)
Rice Vinegar-- Koji is used as a starter (possible barley)
Rice Malt-- contains barley or Koji (again possibly barley product)
Sake-- contains Koji (possible barley)
Soba-- noodles containing buckwheat and wheat flour
Sushi--vinegared rice (may use barley in the vinegar process)
Tamago--Su (Egg Vinegar)-contains rice vinegar (Koji-possible barley)
Temaki--appears to contain sushi, but I am uncertain (barley)
Teriyaki--Wheat and Sake (possible barley)
Udon-- wheat noodles