From:
Jon Stade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 1996 22:28:25 -0600

an _immense_ difference between what is being described here (an allergy)
and CD.

IMHO, allergies are not cd. Period. There may be similarities in the
symptoms, but the two maladies are completely different. I believe it is
quite possible that the cousin that is referred to _has_ grown out of his
gluten allergy.

Growing up, I dealt with a wide range of allergies. I was told that I
would have to live with them, with the help of whatever anti-histamine
drugs I used, until I was a teenager. At that point, I was told, many
children grow out of their allergies. And it was true. A couple of years
after I hit puberty, I was tested for allergies again and I reacted to
_none_ of the things that I had been allergic to as a child. Of course, it
wasn't all good news in my case... I found out that there was a whole
slough of new things that I reacted to, and unfortunately, the reactions
were much more serious than any of my childhood sensitivities. Now, as an
adult, I will likely have to live with my current allergies for the rest
of my life. But there's always a chance my sensitivities could go away,
and, if I was richer, I could go, be tested, and have a de-sensitizing
serum made and injected, and my reactions would be reduced, and likely
some would be eliminated.

However, those are allergies, not CD. I am not CD myself, but I live with
someone who is. She will always have CD. During her puberty, she did not
respond to gluten, but the damage was being done. Now, at 22, she regrets
eating all that gluten in her teens because it has caused her to become
very sensitive.

Anyway, I'm rambling... the point is, someone who has an _allergy_ to
wheat may well grow out of it. As far as I'm concerned, someone who has
Celiac Disease will not. I don't think that it is really right to call
someone's claim that they have grown out of a wheat allergy "denial,"
although someone who claims they have grown out of CD may be more likely
to deserve the label. I'm still rambling... sorry this was so drawn out :)

Sincerely,

Jonathan Stade