From:
BETSEY SILVERMAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 22:25:49 EST

Hi to All,

I truly need some help here.  I came up against a situation recently that
I need some guidance on.  I particularly would appreciate a medical
professional's response, because this is a tough one.

Recently, I visited a gastroenterologist for an overall checkup.
Gratefully all is well.  He suggested I might want to do an upper GI and
lower bowel check (to check the esophagus).

Here is where the mystery comes in.  I spoke to the lab technician and
found that the flavored Barium used IS NOT GF.(the unflavored Barium is
GF, but is pretty bad tasting).  My doctor was quite amazed that the
flavored Barium was not GF.  I further discussed this with  a major
university to ask what they use for their testing.  I was told the amount
of gluten in the Barium is "small".

Since this test is not critical and was just being done to be "thorough"
because of a minor problem, I opted out and will not do it.

However, my questions are:

1. Has any one else come across this and asked the question "what is in
the flavoring".?

2. How can the medical community that specializes in working with Celiac
patients give tests using a  product that contains gluten?

3.  How difficult would it be to make a GF flavoring?
and why haven't they done so?

4.  If it is a "small" amount of gluten and is considered at an
"acceptable level" what about all the caution warnings of remaining 100%
gluten free?

5. Why, when I have been so very careful and have given up so many foods
I love for over 10 years,  now have to consider taking gluten for tests I
don't even want?

I am still struggling with whether I made the right decision.  My doctor
said he would check on this further, but I have not heard any more on
this and from I could find, there isn't much of an alternative (except
the unflavored Barium).

I am very interested in other's experience and any verified facts that
could help.

Thanks much.

Betsey,  NJ