From:
Tom Hennessy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 1996 10:47:33 -0400

> recently, I have begun seeing references to kids with Down Syndrome
> being at higher risk for CD--I may have actually seen it on this
> listserve.  Speech and language delays are almost always present in DS,
> too.

I have just run across an syndrome which links Downs syndrome, irritable
bowel syndrome and 'sprue'.
It is called Fanconi Syndrome. It has no cure and is of unknown origin. It
is known to target the endoctrine system which produces the hormones and
the digestive enzymes.
The hormones or thyroid hormone to be specific has been shown to directly
affect the *muscle proteins* one of which is myosin which controls the
face and throat.. which *may* be the cause of *speech delay*?
They believe it to be caused by heavy metal toxicity.
As Jim Barron has mentioned previously .. and others also.. diabetes
mellitus seems to be common in celiacs. This disease is common also to
Fanconi Syndrome.

It also is known to cause *seizures* which Epilepsy has only *just* been
linked to celiac.

I believe it may make for a good study.

Below is the url for a site which describes disease and it related
syndromes.
http://www.familyinternet.com/peds/index/diseidxf.htm

Who loves ya.
Tom http://www.nucleus.com/watchman