From:
richabec <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:11:36 -0500

Wow!
Earlier this week I posted a question about buying individual packets of
mayonnaise and salad dressings.  I was getting discouraged about keeping my
college son supplied with a convenient way to eat safely when he went out.
This outpouring of ideas has given me lots of hope.  I thank each and every
one of you for taking the time to help me with this issue!

One listmate referred me to a wonderful website that sells individual
packets of many different brand name products.  This looks like a lifesaver
to me!  They have many different condiments as well as other travel size
items.  www.minimus.biz

There were many people who buy dressing packets straight from Mcdonald's.
The brand is Newman's Own and most are GF.  I haven't tried at my local
McD's yet but most responses indicated that they are happy to sell them for
approximately 25-30 cents a pack.  I was aware of their packets but thought
I would have to order from another source - it didn't occur to me that they
would sell them!  Some folks indicated that Mcd's would actually just give
them extra each time they order a salad if they asked nicely.

Apparently many people have this same experience at local delis and salad
bars.  If you find a place that carries a brand and type you like, speak to
the owner and they are often willing to order a case for you or sell only a
portion of a case as needed.

There were many suggestions to try Annie's Natural Dressings.  The Cowgirl
Ranch was most often listed as a favorite.  These are available straight
from the Annie's company by the case or in individual packets from other on
line sources.  Here are some websites to try:
http://www.shopbydiet.com/store/glutenfree/products.php?id=
<http://www.shopbydiet.com/store/glutenfree/products.php?id=&search_query=&s
_category=&diet_info=0,1&brand=Annie%27s+Naturals>
&search_query=&s_category=&diet_info=0,1&brand=Annie%27s+Naturals
http://www.anniesnaturals.com/Merchant/Pages/product-frame.htm
http://www.glutenfreepantry.com/glu/showdetl.cfm?
<http://www.glutenfreepantry.com/glu/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&User_ID=202916&st=7
258&st2=55870458&st3=-32070695&Product_ID=1052&CATID=1>
&DID=7&User_ID=202916&st=7258&st2=55870458&st3=-32070695&Product_ID=1052&CAT
ID=1
www.glutenfreetrading.com)
Dietary Specialties in Philadelphia also carries Annie's.  Local health food
stores are also able to special order these if you ask specifically.

Costco was suggested as a source.  Apparently they carry Kraft packets but
you must buy a very large quantity.

Sam's was suggested as well.  I had checked at my local Sam's previously and
they do have a large box of mayonnaise packets.  However, it was a brand I
was unfamiliar with and I couldn't find a contact number for them.  (Portion
Pac, Inc.)  The case did not list ingredients on it and it had an expiration
date only 2-3 months away.  I didn't feel like this was a practical or safe
option.  If I could track down ingredients and split with a large group it
might work.

Lots of suggestions were for local restaurant supply stores.  Although
technically, most are wholesale only, many will work with you to allow you
to purchase cases.

One respondent suggested packing your own using a food sealer.  I considered
this in the past as well but the packets still have to be refrigerated.  I
would like to have something that my kids could carry several hours without
refrigeration   - and - without spoiling.

Several people suggested just asking for extra packets each time you order
from fast food places.

Many responses indicated that certain brands are available - you just have
to scout out the restaurants that use them and negotiate to buy from them.
Brands listed were:

Kraft,   Annie's, Ken's, Newman's Own, Best Foods, Hellman's

Specific stores included:

McDonald's,  Wendy's, Subway, Ikea, Dominick's in Chicago, Garden Food
service in Michigan, Gordon Food Service in IN,  Smart and Final, GFS
restaurant supply,
And local grocery salad bars as well as small deli's and restaurants.

One person reminded me to be sure to check the formulations of the small
packs because they seem to taste different from the larger bottles.

Overall, this information was extremely helpful to me and I am sure it will
be helpful to many others looking for the same thing.  Thank you to everyone
for your great ideas and for helping me take one more worry off my
shoulders!  I appreciate it!

Becky in Texas