From:
Jane Ehrenfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 1996 19:19:36 -0400

Hi!  I just want to let you all know about the most delicious GF baked
goods that I have sampled.  Foods By George is a small company owned and
operated by George Chookazian in River Edge, NJ.

I first tasted George's GF cheese ravioli, muffins and *chocolate mousse
cake* at my sister's wedding (thanks to her extremely accomodating
caterer -- more on that in another post).  This stuff was really
delicious and everyone at my table wanted what I had (and the chef made
it look really great, too!).  When I returned home from NJ, I called
George to see how I can get his goodies.  His products are currently
available at the Happy Carrot at 636 Kinderkamack Rd., River Edge,
NJ/phone # (201) 986-0818.  George can be reached at the store Monday
through Fridays from around 7 a.m. til 4 or 5 p.m.  His products are also
available at various health food stores in NJ and south to northern VA --
bad news for me in south central VA (and many of the rest of you on this
list) *but*...

George is getting ready to embark on a mail order program!!!  I have had
the opportunity to sample some of the wares available by mail (and, no, I
do not have any financial interest in his company) and if you are looking
for chocolate chip cookies ... look no further!  George really knows his
cookies!  These were the monster sized chocolate chip cookies that had a
truly satisfying crunch to them.  I also sampled the pecan tart (I wish I
could make a pastry crust that good), pumpkin bread (very good but I am a
seasonal eater and could not really get behind an "autumn food" in June)
and English muffins that George compares to Wolfermans in quality but
don't let that stop you -- I was a Thomases' addict prior to going GF --
these toast up very satisfyingly and make a wonderful sandwich bun.
Neither the ravioli nor the chocolate mousse cake, alas, will be available
via mail order but all sorts of other gourmet quality goodies will be.

By the way, I realize that as someone who has been GF for 7 years that I
may not be the most reliable source as to how "real" some of these things
taste, but the ravioli was so good that I wouldn't give anyone a taste and
I was so full by the time dessert came around that I reluctantly shared
some with my gluten-eating husband who declared it delicious on its own
merit, ditto the pecan tart and pumpkin bread.  Apparently the chocolate
chip cookie field is too broad for those who can eat gluten to make this
same claim, but for those of us who can't, I haven't eaten any GF cookie
that came close to these.

Also, George really knows and understands about celiac disease -- his
fiancee is one of us and that's what inspired him to get into GF foods.

For more information on his mail order program, call or write George at
the Happy Carrot phone # or address above.  If you would like to know if
Foods By George are available in your area, call Garden Spot Distributor
at (800) 829-5100.