From:
"N. Jackson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 1995 15:56:20 -0500

Linda Blanchard wrote that she had a bad reaction to the prednisone
prescribed as treatment for her Bell's palsy and cautioned us to question
our doctors closely if that drug is prescribed. Caution is always
appropriate, but Linda's problems with prednisone are not universal among
celiacs. It is a powerful drug with a broad spectrum of possible short-
and long-term side effects, but it is GF according to both my pharmacist
and one other list I've checked. Not a guarantee, but...

In contrast to Linda, I've had no digestive or other unexpected side
effects from about 18 months on prednisone, starting with a whopping dose of
60 mg a day. For the neurological problem I had (mononeuropathy multiplex,
which had made my hands almost nonfunctional), it was a wonder drug. As
Linda noted, this is a drug to be approached with extreme caution.
However, people with celiac disease who may need prednisone shouldn't
reject it without full consideration of its possible costs and benefits
for them.    Nancy