Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 15:01:45 -0700

Dear Fellow Listmembers,
        My husband and I just returned home from a trip to the South Dakota
Black Hills country (Sturgis/Spearfish/Deadwood/Lead).  We stayed at an
excellent GF "friendly" B & B! I'd like to share this information with you!

        We stayed 3 days at the Deer Mountain B & B (605) 584-2473 in Lead
(which I found on the Internet).  This B & B is secluded in a lovey wooded
area and run by friendly hosts Vonnie and Bob Ackerman. The hosts were VERY
understanding of my GF situation!  Vonnie asked many questions and read the
labels for all she prepared. GF breakfast items were prepared daily as part
of everyone's morning meal. (I didn't feel singled out as the one with the
"problem".)

        Each morning, the breakfast items had cards in front of them which
listed the ingredients and GF status.  Pretty much the only thing that
wasn't GF each day was the the  English muffins left out for the others.

Different tastey GF food items were prepared for each of the 3 days we were
there. Bob told me that Vonnie considered it a "challenge" to prepare GF
items for me and would have done it all week , if we were to be there that
long. (Way Cool!)

        Not only that....available for our own use was a complete KITCHEN
(separate from hers private one) where I was able to bake my own bread
(with the dry ingredients I had brought along with me).  I baked and then
froze it in a block for the next portion of our trip. We could have just as
easily used the kitchen each night to prepare our own GF dinners, as well!
When Vonnie and Bob said, "Make yourself at home!" theyweren't kidding!

        Below is the recipe for one of the breakfast items Vonnie prepared
for us.  It was quite tastey, so I asked her for the recipe.  I have no
idea where it came from.  BTW: I have no financial connection w/this
establishment. Just enjoyed being there!

        Be well!

Nina   :)
Phoenix, AZ

HASH BROWN BAKE

        3 cups frozen shredded hashbrowns (She used the  O'Brien frozen
potatoes in the freezer section of the grocery  store.I checked the
ingredients, which seemed fine.) 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted 1 cup
finely chopped cooked ham or  bacon 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese 1/4 cup
finely chopped green bell pepper 2 large eggs, beaten 1/2 cup milk 1/2
teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon pepper   Thaw potatoes between layers of paper
towels to remove excess  moisture.  Press potatoes into bottom and up sides
of an ungreased 9-inch  pie plate; drizzle with melted butter.   Bake at
425 for 25 minutes or until lightly browned; cool on a  rack l0 minutes.
Combine meat, cheese, and bell pepper; spoon into potato  shell.  Combine
eggs and next 3 ingredients, stirring well; pour egg  mixture over meat
mixture.   Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes or until set; let stand l0
minutes before serving.   Yield 6 to 8 servings.   NOTE:  Hash Brown Bake
may be assemble, omitting egg  mixture, and refrigerated 8 hours or
overnight.  Let stand at room  temperature 30 minutes.  Combine eggs, milk,
salt, and pepper; pour over  ham mixture.  Bake at 350 for 25 to 30
minutes.