From:
Sandra Lutz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 12:20:20 -0800

Thanks to all the responded for my request about restaurants in Portland,
Oregon.

I Wu's Open Kitchen in Beaverton.

They use only fresh ingredients, so they were very willing to make up a
dish that was not only gf, but also fit my current VERY limited diet:
(helpful, I asked if I could mention their place on the list.  There are
4 different locations for Wu's, for those of you who may live in the
area:  #1 Lake Oswego 17773 SW Lower Boones Ferry Rd, (503)-636-8899  #2
Tigard  12180 SW Scholls Ferry Rd  (503)-579-8899 #3 Beaverton/Aloha
2040l S.W. Tualatin Valley Hwy #18  (503)-614-8899 and #4 Tigard 99W
15660 SW Pacific Hwy  (503)-620-8899.  At the Beaverton location, the
cashier had to interpret my needs to the rest of the staff, but they
were very co-operative, and gave me a menu when we left.  On the menu it
says that one can order to go, although the place was a nice dinner
restaurant with a wine/beer/cocktail menu as well.

____________________________

Three Square Grill 503-244-4467--delicious black bean chili and a grilled
vegetable hash.

Henry's Cafe 503-236-8704--several good dishes including polenta.
Noho's Hawaiaan Cafe--503-233-5301 or 503-977-2771--has grilled meats plus
they fixed me a delicious gf stir-fried vegetable dish served over white
rice.

Little Wing Cafe--503-228-3101--I forgot what I had there but it was good!
I think it was a breakfast dish like an omelet or potatoes.

There are lots of chain restaurants like Outback Steakhouse and Tony Romas,
but I don't know much about them.  I see posts every so often about them so
know they have at least some gf items, and of course there is the
famous/infamous burger king chain as well.

Natures Fresh Northwest, Daily Grind, and Food Front are all natural food
stores with a variety of GF supplies, and I think that the Fred Meyer chain
of stores also stocks GF breads in their natural food sections.

______________________

Outback Steak House on 82nd Ave.  Or El Burrito Loco is really good
also.  There are two of them.  Carne Asada Taco's have steak, avacado,
tomatoes, onions, on two corn shells.  They are only $1.25 each.  I eat
these several times a week.

______________________

There is a pizza place in Vancouver on Fourth Plain called Smoky's.  They
will make a gluten free pizza.  I called ahead to make sure they had the
crust on hand when I went.  This place is just over the I-5 bridge from
Portland, not far depending on where you are staying.

The best thing about Portland is that fresh seafood is everywhere.  So you
can easily get a meal of simply prepared fish and vegetables.  One place I
went, Jakes Seafood was quite good and they had a gluten free flourless
chocolate cake on the menu for dessert.  Very rich though.  I think Papa
Haydn's has one too.

For steak, a recent article in the Oregonian named El Gaucho, Morton's,
Ruth's Chris among the best places (also very expensive!)  Try the Portland
City Search web site to look for restaurants.  There are reviews and lots of
the restaurants post their menus.  You could get  an idea ahead of time what
kind of food a place serves and if you could get a gluten free meal.
http://www.citysearch.portland.com

_________________________

(Pasquale's?)
and Skamania Lodge.  I haven't tried them yet, but they sound wonderful.
These are up the Columbia Gorge from Portland, and probably worth the trip.

Hood River Hotel: they have one of the two best Italian restaurants in that
hotel I've encountered, and when the waitress came up I began: "I have the
most common genetic dietary problem . . ." She immediately replied: "Wheat
allergy?" Which may not be quite accurate, but is way better than most. She
said they get a lot of that there, and they were adept at working with it.
They also had a lot of stuff that was not pasta based, and later the owner
told me to bring my own pasta and they'd be happy to work with that. SAid
they had done that a lot. Great Duck B something that ended with an "ai"
something else :)

Pasquale's also had the best vinegarette salad dressing I've tasted. I
usually don't include it in my favorites. If you're curious they explained
the secret: Get a good balsamic vinegar that is five to seven years old and
only use a little, with a lot of good virgin olive oil. My guess from the
taste is that it was greatly helped by the spices. They had not stinted
there.

Garbonzo's (two locations) and Old Wives Tale are excellent.

We recently ate at Laslow's in NW Portland and had a great experience.  It's
a wonderful menu in an "Old Portland" style house, just off NW 23rd on
Kearney.

My daughter, son, and I like the Indian place at the Clackamas Town
Center food court.  The cook will be happy to tell you what is NOT gf.
He was VERY nice when we asked.