From:
Amy Kravitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 18:28:35 -0500

Hi to the List,

  Hi, My name is Amy and I'm new to the this list.

  My brother has had celiac sprue since birth and has lived well with the condition. About two years ago, I was tested for celiac sprue as well, and surprisingly I came out to be positive as well. This was very surprising to me (and upsetting) because I have been asypmtomatic . Not long ago we had a follow-up confirmation test done, and again, I came out positive for Celiac Sprue. I just found this out on Friday, when we called Md. to have the results confirmed.

   When I first got the information of my status, I kind of ignored it. Somewhere in the past I had read a website saying that some celiacs can suffer from infertility. I "shelved" the information in the back of my mind and just went ahead and tried to conceive my first child.  I figured I'd deal with the parenthood issue first and then with the Celiac issue later on....

    It's been over a year later, and still I have not fallen pregnant. My mother called some of the big celiac researchers over at UMd. and they said it's a possibility that Celiac can be causing my infertilty.

    Tomorrow I have my first appt. with a Reproductive Endocrinologist.  At this point, I think we're going to set up to have an appt.with a doctor  who is well-versed in Celiac to give me that endoscopy test?(the one where they put the tube down your throat).

    After I learned of this upsetting news on Fri. that I do in fact have Celiac, I have decided to adopt, for the first time in my life, the Gluten Free diet. This has also been very difficult for me to accept.

   My questions to the group is: Has anyone else been here before ? Newly diagnosed as infertile and as positive for Celiac Sprue?
How did it affect you emotionally when you found out all this information?(I am not dealing well with it at all)...
What medical steps did you take after a celiac/infertility diagnosis to try to reach the path of parenthood? What kind of doctors should I be seeking out, and are there any specific tests I should be asking for? You can post me privately if you so choose.

    Thanks in advance for your time and interest,
    Amy Kravitz,
    Very sad, lost, and confused in New Jersey