From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 1996 13:31:17 -0400

Right on, Oldenburg. Most of the airlines have (mediocre) fruit plates that
will at least stave off starvation. Pre-sprue diagnosis, I thought it was
discourteous and unrealistic for people with special diet needs to expect
that the world would make special arranagements on their account;
post-sprue, I feel the same way. It would be nice if the rest of the world
would arrange things so as to elimnate the considerable inconveniences of
this diet, but c'mon. Accurate and comprehenvisve labelling is a much more
important issue, and one that impacts a significant % of the population.

As for the word itself: whatever the derivation, I agree that sprue is a
wondeful word, exotic and a bit light-hearted at the same time. But if
"getting sprued" is the state of suffering the consequences of unwise
ingestion, don't the rules of grammer suggest that despruing is the process
of making food safe for ingestion? For instance: "I wish you could just go
out and buy a gluten-free pizza instead of having to DEsprue the darned
things!" Is food sprued, unsprued, and desprued? For instance: "You'll love
the restaurant -- lots of unsprued choices and even a desprued bread that
tastes reasonably okay."

How about a good desprued soy sause? Anybody got some advice on how to eat
sushi without suffering?

Mary Brown