From:
Stefanie Horsfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 18:39:00 EST

I received 15 helpful replies to my question earlier today about a red
itchy spot reaction (on my left hip) to accidental gluten ingestion last
night.  Here is the summary of replies:

6 people said they have either identical or similar reactions to gluten.
Suggested remedies or things to improve comfort included Dapsone,
Vaseline Intensive Care lotion (to soothe), OLUX foam, tea tree oil (10
drops in one ounce of olive oil, applied twice daily), and Benadryl.

Many said its definitely an allergic reaction, possibly to another food.
One suggested that it could be uticaria or hives.  One said it sounds
like a wheat allergy - allergic reactions cause skin reactions.  Another
mentioned that dairy allergies sometimes exhibit themselves as skin
reactions.

2 said it does not sound like DH because a DH reaction does not occur
that quickly, is very rare, and causes blisters (which I don't have).

2 suggested that it may be eczema and mentioned that celiacs tend to
have more sensitive skin than others, and eczema may be a secondary
reaction from nutrient deficiencies.  Another mentioned that this
reaction now could be a warning sign of future DH flare-ups.

As for me, I have decided to go see an allergist to be tested for other
food allergies, just in case this is not completely a gluten reaction
and is a signal of another allergy.

Thank you all for your helpful input!!

Stefanie
(Virginia, USA)