From:
Katie Bratland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Katie Bratland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2009 10:35:03 -0500

First of all, sorry it has taken me so long to respond.  There were quite a
few responses and I want to thank all of you for your positive and
informative emails.

Overall, there seems to be a pretty basic way that this works.  The hosts
are ordered either by the individual or the church.  Then when the person
with celiac goes to church he/she either has a host in a pyx or lets the
sacristan, or other person, know they are there and they put it in the pyx.
 The pyx, with the low GF host in it, is then taken up with the gifts and is
consecrated at the same time.  When it comes time for communion, there is a
designated place and/or person who the celiac individual goes to and when
they approach this person, they are handed the pyx or the host is "shaken"
out of the pyx and into his or her palm/hand.  There are some slight
variations to this and for those who are interested I have included the
specific responses below.

One thing I will say to anyone who has a child with celiac, who is getting
close to the age of first communion, is to start the process as soon as
possible.  I still don't have an answer yet, but my daughter will not be
receiving until next spring.  You just don't know how your pastor or
Archdiocese will react or if there is a specific process that may take a bit
of time. - Katie

So, here are the specific responses I received, it's somewhat long and that
is why I gave the above summary:

1.	Just FYI, the Low Gluten Host is approved by the Vatican. It is
considered "valid matter"... Here's a link to the site where they are made:
http://www.benedictinesisters.org/bread/low_gluten.php.  As for process, my
parish does a great job with it.  They store them separately in the back and
consecrate them in a pix that is carried up with the gifts.  If you need the
low-gluten host, you simply notify the usher before mass and he alerts the
Eucharist team. You just need to receive from the Priest as he takes pix in
his pocket down to distribute. Simply let him know when it's your turn.  It
works pretty well. If you want to contact Old St. Pat's here's there site:
http://www.oldstpats.org/  Hope that helps! Best regards, Carol M. Shilson,
Executive Director, The University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center

2.	I order the hosts, keep a supply in my freezer and take over about 20 at
a time. They are kept in a separate baggie in a pottery dish in the
sacristy. When a Celiac comes to Mass, it is their responsibility to put a
host in the pyx, put the pyx on the plate,  and to be sure they receive the
host from the priest (he is the only minister with the pyx on his plate).
The priest opens the pyx and lets us take it out to avoid contamination.
Benedictine Sisters of Perpetual Adoration, 31970 State Highway P, Clyde MO

3.	I bring my own pyx to Mass with the low gluten host in it. I give it to
whichever priest is saying Mass and then sit on his side close to the front.
When it's my turn they open the pyx and I remove the Host, then carry the
empty pyx back with me. Our church also keeps a supply of the Low Gluten
Hosts and a separate pyx in the Sacristy for anyone that needs it.  - Gina
Jacquier

4.	In our church we have 4 who receive the low gluten host. We each have our
own pix.  We purchase our own low gluten host.  Each week we put our own low
gluten host in our pix and take it to the priest prior to Mass starting.  He
then has the altar boys take the pix to the altar.  They are kept closed at
all times.  At communion time we make sure we get in his line.  He holds our
pix in the palm of his hand and puts the glass communion bowl onto of the
pix.  When we approach him, he lifts the glass bowl with his left hand and
we choose our own pix from the palm of his hand.  We step to the side and
take the low gluten host out of the pix ourselves and then carry the pix
back to our pew.  No one ever touches our hosts but ourselves. Hope this
helps. – Rita

5.	My children take the low gluten host in our Catholic Church. Our church
gives us the hosts in a bag so we can keep them in our freezer. We have a
pyx and when we go to church we put the hosts into the pyx, and put the pyx
on top of the chalice when we get to church (the chalice is on a side
table). When the altar servers bring the chalice to the altar during the
mass, they just bring the chalice too. To receive the hosts, my children go
up on side of the altar after the Lord Have Mercy prayer and wait. When the
priest is ready to distribute communion, he first takes the pyx and gives my
children and anyone else receiving the low gluten hosts, their hosts and
then goes to give everyone else their communion. We have more than one
priest in our parish so it doesn't hold up the process too much. The priest
will not usually touch the low gluten hosts when he gives it to my children
because of contamination. He'll just tip the pyx and let the host fall into
their hands. Let me know if you have any questions. – Cheryl

6.	I receive a gluten free host every week at mass.  Before mass each week,
I go to the sacristy and let whoever is officiating that day know that I am
there.  They keep the GF hosts in a special location (refrigerated) and they
will take one out and place it in a special single gold holder for me. They
bring it to the altar with the regular hosts.  The priests are all so sweet
about it, making sure to take special care to keep it separate.  I even sing
in the choir every third week and one of them will carry it up to the loft.
 My church is the head diocese for all of Long Island and it is a large
Cathedral.  If they can do it, any church can. You need to make contact with
your rectory before and they will advise you how it will best work for your
church.  If you need any other information, I am sure one of my priests
would be happy to contact someone from your parish.  As I said, the entire
staff has been wonderful about making sure I am able to receive communion
with a special host.  - Angela

7.	We are no where near the twin cities, but our church does provide the low
gluten host made by the Benedictine sisters. The process is that the church
orders the hosts and keeps them in a small freezer where the wine is kept.
When my daughter (or any of the other 2 celiac folks in church) come to
mass, they go to the room, get a (I'm going to get the real terms wrong
here, so bear with me) clean patten, wipe it with the blessed cloths and put
a host on it. They bring that up to the altar prior to the start of mass and
leave it for the priest. It is consecrated during mass. When Jessica (my
daughter) goes to communion (she will go to the priest of deacon- we have
several eucharistic ministers who assist as well), the priest (or deacon)
will get the patten, bring it to her and SHE removes the host and consumes
it. No one else ever touches the host.  Jessica was 12 when she was
diagnosed (she will be 18 in April) and she was very upset that she could
not have communion. Luckily for us, our Pastor had just heard about these
and placed the order only a month or so after her diagnosis. It has made her
feel much better being able to receive.  Best regards, Lisa in NJ