From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 23:50:08 EST

Panel Q & A, Drs. Braly, Butzner, Marsh, and Murray
-----------

Q: I have CD.  My mother has symptoms of CD.  Her doctor did not do a
   biopsy, he just put her on the diet.  Any problem with that?

A: Dr. Murray indicated that this is the attitude they are trying to
   change in medicine today.  There is a strong possibility of Celiac
   Disease (CD) but testing will be much more difficult.  Older
   patients often have problems if they are then later put on a
   gluten-challenge to confirm diagnosis.  Dr. Marsh suggested that if
   an individual has CD and any of their relatives are suspect, one
   should make sure that they have a diagnosis BEFORE starting the
   gluten-free (GF) diet

Q: Hypospleenism: Will it improve?  Are you more susceptible to
   infections?

A: Dr. Marsh indicated that if the spleen is out, one is more
   sensitive to the pneumococal vaccine.  You should not be more
   susceptible to infection.  Dr. Murray stated that once you go on
   the diet, you can expect the spleen function to improve to some
   degree.  He recommends pneumovax for his patients (a one-time
   vaccine).  He doesn't believe they are any more susceptible to
   viral infections.

Q: Is there reason to believe that people who cheat on the diet will
   have troubles later?

A: Dr. Murray stated that if one cheats on the diet once per month or
   more, you can assume that damage is occurring.  If one cheats once
   per week, then they are not compliant and you can presume that
   damage is occurring and yes, there will be consequences.  Dr.
   Butzner noted that toddlers are usually OK with the diet until they
   get to school.  He sees a lot of cheating among teenagers.
   Sometimes fear of stunted growth will keep boys on the diet.
   Compliance in teenagers is usually better if they see the dietitian
   and doctor on a regular basis.

Q: What forms can Dermatitis Herpetiformis (DH) take?  Is it possible
   to have an itch without a lesion?

A: Dr. Marsh:  No, without the eruptions it is not DH.  They are a
   major symptom of the disease.  There are many other causes of itchy
   skin.  Dr. Murray:  There is a form of dermatitis that is not DH,
   caused by poor nutrition, which improves when a more nutritious
   diet is introduced.  In celiacs this could happen once the gut
   heals on a GF diet.  Dr. Butzner:  DH is rare in children.

Q: Can you give more details about tooth enamel defects?

A: Dr. Murray:  If a child has malabsorption at the time that enamel
   is forming, then there will be defects.  After the fact there is
   little you can do other than be aggressive about applying
   protective coatings and possibly avoiding highly-acidic foods.  Dr.
   Marsh: It is worth looking for that in a child, especially if a
   parent is a celiac.

Q: Consider a 12 year old female, diagnosed at age 5.  She had a
   circle of hair loss at the time of diagnosis, then lost all the
   remaining hair on her head.  All treatments have failed, she still
   has no hair on her head.  She does have pubic and under arm hair.
   Is this related to CD?  Can she expect to get her hair back?

A: Dr. Butzner:  Pubic and under arm hair is controlled by a separate
   mechanism than hair on the head.  This is not a common problem in
   children.  There are autoimmune diseases which involve hair loss;
   she may have one of these.  The GF diet is not likely to help her;
   she may have lost her hair even without CD.  Dr. Murray: Sounds
   like alopecia areata, though complete loss of hair is unusual.
   Check for thyroid problems.  But future improvement is uncertain.

Q: Is there any value in eating according to blood type?