From:
Julee Katzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 23:30:58 EST

Hi,

I know it's after Thanksgiving, but who doesn't like to eat pie all year
round?

I made a pumpkin cheesecake and used the Health Valley rice bran crackers for
the crust. I just followed the Joy of Cooking recipe. It was great.

For your pie crust you should buy a Bette Hagman book with the Dream
Pastry recipe in it. It's wonderful and would be much better than with the
crackers or cookies you mentioned. I'll be making pumpkin and pecan pies,
myself

I have used GF corn flakes and added some sugar and cinnamon to them as well
as the melted butter to hold them together.  I think you could probably use
any GF cereal or cookies-crackers and end up with a pie crust. I sometimes
put the crust on top if it is for a pie that has to be baked.

I have tried once to make a pie crust from the Mi-del ginger cookies, using
the same method as I would with graham crackers.  I put them in my food
processor and got them down to small crumbs, then added butter and a little
water.  I found that I needed to add more moisture than I did with the graham
cracker crust, but the taste was fine!

Another good pie crust is the coconut crust in the New Basics Cookbook
by Russo and Lutkins.  I can send you the recipe, but it can't be posted
to the list (copywrite violations).

My wife, the one with celiac, had serious problems with Midel ginger
snaps recently.  I tried to ease a solution directly thru the company.
When that didn't work, I posted to the list.

About 20 people reported recent problems, although previously everything
was great.  About 10 said they had no problems.  The concensus was that
Midel makes non gluten free ginger snaps and that they probably had a
production problem which they chose to solve by giving a free bag of
ginger snaps to the complainers and stone wall on the cause.  On this
account, I consider them unreliable.

Once I made a gf chocolate cake that fell in the middle.  I dried it out and
I used those crumbs for crust also.  And I have crushed gf chocolate chip
cookie crumbs and made an ice cream pie that was really good.

Julee, I have made cheesecake with a crust of very finely ground almonds
and mixed with flour and butter.  Everyone raved over it.  I don't know
why it wouldn't work with any number of fillings.

Julee Katzman
Boston