From:
Laura Dolson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 1998 13:19:21 -0400

Thanks to all who attempted to answer my questions, as well as those who
supported me for asking them.  Here's what I've been able to gather.

1) Eggs have several functions in recipes, so when you are talking "egg
replacer", it partly depends on which functions are important in that
particular recipe.  The main functions are: leavening, binding, and
moisturizing.

Ener-G egg replacer is said to have binding capabilities - the folks at Ener-G
stated this in an email to me, but the impression is that this would be more
the case in flour-baking (cake) than, when, say, using egg as a binder for
meat/rice in stuffed green peppers.  (I wasn't told this; I'm extrapolating.)

OTOH, Carol Fenster, in her cookbook(s), lists Ener-G egg replacer as having
some of the leavening capacity of eggs, and it does have baking powder in it,
so this makes sense too.

2) I can, indeed, substitute eggs for egg replacer.  No one could figure out
why both would be in a recipe, unless it was trying to cut down on the fat and
cholesterol in the eggs.  No one was able to give me an idea of how much fluid
to subtract if I use eggs instead of egg replacer - I would probably start
with a couple of tablespoons and see what happened.  The alternative I've been
using of substituting egg white powder is probably just fine, too - others
make this substitution with good results.  One person went from the egg
replacer to powdered egg whites because of a corn allergy and found no
significant difference.

3) I recommend Carol Fenster's books (I only have the Wheat Free one, but I
have the impression it's in Special Allergy Solutions, too) for her charts on
substitutions and discussions of what various ingredients do.  I got a chuckle
out of the fact that she includes apple butter as one of the "binding" egg
substitutes - maybe I got that applesauce idea from somewhere after all!

4) Don Wiss has a great collection of egg replacers on his site.  It is off of
his recipe page at:

http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/recipes.html

Note that a couple of the ideas in that file may not be GF, for example, the
last time I looked Wonderslim had oat fiber in it.

Laura