From:
Nancy Lilly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 1996 19:48:55 -0800

Was sending a reply to Sandy Powell about corn meal, & thought I'd post the
group in case someone else is interested......

When in New Mexico a couple of years ago, bought a recipe book "The Blue
Corn Cookbook" by Celine-Marie Pascale, Out West Publishing, Albuquerque,
New Mexico.  Don't know whether it's still in print, but it has some really
useful recipes, that work quite well with fine ground white corn meal.

One simple trick I learned:
        1 cup cornmeal
        1 cup sour cream
        1 tsp baking powder
Spoon this into well-seasoned muffin tins & smoosh against the sides to
form a cup.  Mini-muffin tins are great for hors d'ourves size goodies.
Fill with your choice of filling and bake in a 375 oven for about 15-18
minutes.  If you're using a fairly juicy filling, I would advise baking
them w/out the filling for about 5-6 minutes to firm them up, then fill &
continue baking.  Good for mini-quiches, deviled crab filling, "stuffed
mushroom " type filling, also pie cherry filling or whatever.  They freeze
really well, too.  Anyway, bake them until the corn meal edges start to
brown & the stuffing is bubbly. I freeze them individually, then pop 'em in
a plastic bag in the freezer.  Pull them out & heat them up till bubbly
again, & serve to company.

Note: I have no idea how these would work with regular supermarket generic
corn meal, & I'd have to be desperate to find out.  The fine ground meal is
a little coarser than flour, of course, but considerably finer than regular
meal, and I think that helps it hold together when it's baked.

Nancy in L.A.