From:
"Richard L. Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard L. Paul
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:30:16 -0400

I posted a while back because now that my wife has none somewhat GF (after I
was diagnosed), she finds she has a bad reaction to some gluten-filled
products but not others (white pasta - problem / wheat pasta - no problem).
I received a number of responses and the ones that I consider the most
potentially helpful to others are below.

Thanks everyone, once again, for your help,

Richard Paul

---------
IT COULD BE YEAST

-That sounds like it could be a yeast thing.

-I have the same problem and a friend of mine does also. Yeast and sugar can
mess up the gut. She quit both and lost weight and feels much better. She is
not celiac. I, however, have the sugar addiction going on. Need to work on
that.
---------------------
SHE CAN'T TOLERATE SOME OTHER INGREDIENT

-Sounds more like a sugar type reaction.  Not that she is allergic to sugar
but that over processed foods are simple carbohydrates vs the complex carbs
in whole wheat.  Her reactions (other than the beer to which I have no clue)
sound like some of the typical gastro responces to eating simple carbs as
discussed in many of the low carb diets (zone, carb. addicts, atkins).

-She may be carb intolerant or have candida overgrowth, or both.........the
white refined stuff is much more starchy and thus more reactions in those
who have either or both conditions...........
--------------------
PEOPLE CAN BE GLUTEN INTOLERANT EVEN IF THEY DON'T HAVE CD

-You can be gluten/wheat intolerant (or maybe she really is Celiac!). From
the description, it sounds as though perhaps she does not fully digest the
whole grain products and therefore they are not broken down into the
component offending amino acids; not digesting fully may in itself be a sign
of Celiac

-Many people are "gluten intolerant" who are not celiacs.  This means that
they feel better on the gluten free diet, but they do not have to be as
strict as celiacs, because the gluten is not damaging the walls of their
intestine.

-I went GF when my daughter was diagnosed just to make it easier to cook and
so she wouldn't feel so isolated.  After 3 months I started to notice that I
didn't have gas constantly.  I had thought that the gas problem was an age
thing (I was 49 at the time) but lo and behold, it went completely away and
after 3 years completely GF, my only symptom when I get some gluten by
mistake, is gas 2 days later!  I would never have gone in for testing about
this and discovered it completely by accident.  I think the experts say
there are degrees of gluten intolerance.  Unless your wife goes completely
GF for a few months, she won't be able to tell what her true symptoms are.

-A person can be gluten intolerant without being celiac. Celiac is defined
by a certain degree of gut damage, but you can be "less damaged" too.  So
yeah, she can be "a little" celiac, or, she can be gluten intolerant and not
celiac. In either case, she'll feel better without gluten.  Whole wheat
definitely causes less problems, I don't know why, but I've heard it a lot.
No one really knows what, if any, cutoff there is though. I'd suggest
reading "Dangerous Grains" which lays down the current research on the
subject.

----------------------
EVERYONE SHOULD AVOID GLUTEN - EVEN PEOPLE WHO DON'T HAVE CD

-IMO for a lot of people not considered celiac - it is just plain old
healthier to not eat gluten.  For petes sake Gluten is the only known
trigger for an auto-immune disease - celiac - out of all the other
auto-immune diseases - a lot of which are identified with celiac - Rhematoid
Arthritis for one.  that is good enough for me.  What if Gluten is also the
trigger for all those other auto-immune diseases?  Just that no one one has
figured it out yet!  I have had tons of food allergies & for years I have
said that "food is the most powerful medicine we have, we just do not know
how to use it correctly."
-------------------------
I KNOW OTHER PEOPLE WHO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM - OR I HAVE IT

-I have an acquaintance who has food reactions of the serious type -
anaphalytic shock reactions to certain foods.  She explained what gives her
this reaction, saying it was okay for her to eat white bread but not wheat,
and listed off a few other foods.  At first I thought I was going to hear
the food list of most celiacs, but no, not that, although a grain product
was mentioned.

-My husband has celiac disease and I do not.  I certainly do not follow a
gluten-free diet but have definitely cut back on the gluten that our family
eats.  I, too, have noticed that when I have the occasional bowl of semolina
pasta or white bread that I will suffer from a bloated feeling and a bit of
an upset stomach.   However, it's nothing near the kind of distress that my
husband would suffer if he accidentally ate gluten!  I kind of thought it
was just eating a lot of something that my stomach was not used to that
upset it.   But it's interesting to note that your wife has a similar
reaction.

-I am the only non-celiac in a family of five.  So I am almost completely
gluten free as well.  I've noticed that when I go on something like a
girlscout leader's retreat or visit my family and can eat gluten, which I
do, if I overdo it, I get a bad stomach ache, gas, and bloating.  This
occurs when I start eating gluten over a period of a couple of days.  I
don't notice a difference for one meal or a snack.  My blood work is
completely normal, so I don't think that I have celiac disease myself.  I
think I'm just not used to digesting gluten anymore, so it's rough on my
system.

-as a non celiac who is GF at home out of soliderity I too have issues
sometimes eating wheat products.I have crossants and cookies and donuts and
cake with my co-workers and go out for crusty bread sandwiches for lunch. To
the point where my doctor is actually having me tested. I came up negative
on the blood test and she said " well so did your husband and he most
definetly is celiac" so i am going to the GI doc later in september. I get
bloating and gas and lots of other fun stuff, and none of this was an issue
that I "noticed?" before. I am only 25 so I did ask my mom and she said no I
always loved bread and tolerated it fine.
SHE SHOULD GET TESTED

-Some people have worse reactions than others... she might want to get
tested.

-I think I have a wheat intolerance.  Definitely, there are different
degrees of sensitivity.  People who are celiacs all seem to have different
sets of symptoms.  Has your spouse been tested for gluten intolerance?