From:
Diane Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 May 1999 16:14:23 -0700

Hi Listers

Got some great information on the positive effects of a gluten free diet
on arthritis, diabetes and MS.

Four people suggested the book:  "Can a Gluten Free Diet Help? How?" by
Lloyd Rosenvold, MD.  It's fairly new and a quick read at about 100
pages.

Several stated that they didn't think there was scientific evidence that
these AI Diseases are helped by a gf diet but they had had personal
experiences with friends and relatives who had been helped.  (We've
always been pioneers haven't we?)  Someone noted that a person with
Parkinson's had been helped by a gf diet.   Chronic Fatigue Syndrom and
Fibromylagia have also been helped.

Heck, maybe wheat is poison to everyone!  Let's just erase it from the
earth!  -:)

Sites to check:
http://www.celiac.com/stats.html#SPRUENIK
http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/hoggan (see below for more on Don Wiss)
http://www.celiac.com which is Scott Adams website; check under Related
Disorders.

Don Wiss, bless him, sent me detailed posts, one each for arthritis,
diabetes and MS.  I will post each separately since they are too long to
be included here.

Also as a point of info, the low carb list I belong to repeatedly has
posts from people whose AI diseases have improved with that way of
eating.  Low carb is not a total gf diet, but avoids grains and other
carbs as much as possible, thus gluten is greatly reduced if not
eliminated.  Several of the low carb books (Protein Power, The Zone,
Atkins) state that diabetes, heart disease and other AI diseases improve
with the avoidance of carbs.

The consensus is that it is definitely worth giving up gluten for awhile
and see if it helps.  It certainly has worked for others.

Diane Holmes - Kirkland WA USA