From:
elizabeth j powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 08:27:00 -0800

hello everyone, i've been on the list a few weeks, and i want to thank
everyone for their wealth of information!  i have been experiencing
bloating and excrutiating bouts of pain on and off for about 8 years now,
since shortly after the birth of my daughter.  having run the gamut of
tests, everything from gynecologic (laproscopy) to g.i. (colposcopy-what
a treat *that* was) it was decided i had, you guessed it, irritable
bowel.  my mother has had celiac for about 10 years now, and for the
longest time it didn't click because my symptoms aren't anything like
hers. what finally cinched it was becoming so lactose intolerant that i
couldn't even eat cheese or yogurt.  someone suggested that it could be
celiac because that's often indicative of or a precurser to celiac.

i haven't been tested, and i don't want to be because for the first time
in 8 years i'm bloat free and pain free.  yay!!  i'm not having too much
trouble with my diet, either, because after being denied milk products
for so long, and never being much of a bread person, this is
comparatively easy.  at least i now have my cheese back:)))

the *one* problem i am having however, is with msg, at least i think
that's what is causing it.  i get excrutiating gas pains...to the point
where i'm doubled up and crying, it hurts so much. does anyone else
experience bouts like this, and if so, what do you think could be causing
yours?  and what in terms of anti-gas products are the most effective and
have the least side effects?

another question i have is about olean.  i've heard it's on our list of
nono's.  why is this?  i was really hoping it would be allowed, it would
be nice to eat potato chips again:)

oh, here's a suggestion...for those of you who can tolerate soy and are
sick of bland rice, i've noticed that the japanese soy products tend to
be the ones with wheat in them.  there is a type of soy sauce that's
chinese, called chun king soy sauce, while having caramel in its list of
ingredients, has given me absolutely no trouble at all.  so it could be
worth a try.  if you do notice a reaction, please let me know.

this disease is so trial and error that us newbies really are babes in
the woods.  i have nothing but admiration for those of you who've had it
for years...having had no information and being forced to deal with every
single food product as a challenge...all i can say is thank you for being
so open with it.

elizabeth powell