Date:
Wed, 28 Aug 1996 15:45:22 +0200

For all you world travellers who also need to stay GF:

I have finally received my newsletter from THE main health store in
Israel. (It carries foods frozen and otherwise, imported and local for
just about every specialized diet and specializes in gluten-free items).

One section mentioned that anyone travelling on El-Al (Israel Airlines)
can order a gluten-free meal. There is a particular code for it so no one
has to guess. Just to be sure, re-order your GF meal when you call to
confirm your flight (72 hours before take-off). _I thought that was pretty
good news._

Also, the labeling bill proposed in the Parliament (Knesset) some 2 years
ago has now been passed into law, as of May 15, 1996. It will take some
time for food manufacturers to get organized but help for us frustrated
shoppers is on the horizon. Also if you can't read Hebrew, labels are (and
have been for some time) in English and Russian. GF foods will carry the
international symbol.  So all you potential tourists have one less excuse
for staying away!

P.S. I have no stock or connection with the government or the tourism
industry.

Sharon Marcus
Haifa