From:
Bobbie Proctor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 15:59:49 -0500

I heard from 4 people following my post on McCormick labeling
practices (they always identify gluten these days) and my suspicions
of my wooden spoon in a gluten reaction.

Only one person talked about the spice company. She said (in part):
"I used turmeric powder (also McCormick's) in meatballs.  My husband
had a very bad obvious gluten reaction to it.  There was no doubt in
my mind it was the spice.  I'll never use it again."

When I checked my turmeric label, I did notice it had an old address
(McCormick moved to Hunt Valley from Baltimore several years ago), so
it was plainly an old bottle, even though newly opened. I tossed it
out and bought Spice Islands turmeric.

Wooden spoons: One thanked me for mentioning wooden spoons, and one
person mentioned she also suspected some of her older pans of
retaining allergens, especially pitted ones, and kept her baking
stone for gf foods only. One person had used wooden utensils without
problems, and wondered: "I may have missed something about "hidden
gluten" or more accurately hiding gluten.  Can you direct me to the
information about wooden (or other) utensils and clinging gluten?"

I hadn't thought of wooden spoons being a problem either, until I saw
a post back in October from a lister rooming with a non-gf person. She
said, in part of her summary of suggestions from the list:

"The main areas of concern were porous materials, like wood and
plastic. It was suggested that I use a glass cutting board instead of
wood or plastic and that Anna have her own wooden utensils for cooking
pasta (or use stainless steel or teflon coated utensils)."

I went into the list archives, and found this statement in a copy of
The Sprue-nik Press, Jan./Feb. 1998 (Part 3 of 5).
Mary Kay Sharrett, MS, RD, LD, Children's Hospital, Columbus, OH was
part of a panel answering questions about cd.

"Q:  Should there be separate GF and non-GF kitchen utensils?

A:  (Mary Kay Sharrett) Use common sense.  Utensils with smooth
    surfaces can be used for both GF and non-GF cooking so long as
    they are cleaned between uses.  Utensils with porous surfaces
    (wooden spoons) might retain some gluten particles after
    cleaning."

So I have retired my old wooden spoons. I haven't brought myself to
get rid of them yet. Some are kind of cute, the way they're designed.
I may use them for decoration somehow. Most I plan to give to a
second-hand place that accepts kitchen stuff.

Good luck and good health!
Bobbi in Baltimore