Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 23:09:28 EDT

From both the e-mails we received and the conversations we've had with
doctors, there seems to be no question that Addison's and Celiac are linked.  A huge
number of people wrote to me to say that both run in their families.  The
question is how exactly are they linked.

The doctors I've spoken to simply say that auto-immune diseases run in
families.

Several people who wrote to us feel that there's a more direct link between
Celiac and  Addison's.  Some felt that undiagnosed C.D. can lead to Addison's.
One person explained it this way:

"Celiac disease frequently causes the immune system to start attacking
internal
organs, and can result in addison's. I have CD and addison's, although I am
fortunate in having a mild addison's condition. I take cortisol capsules 3
times per day.

The mechanics of the linkage: celiac disease damages the gut, and if the
damage progresses far enough, intestinal permeability will result.
Intestinal
permeability allows large protein molecules that have not been completely
digested
to enter the bloodstream. The immune system sees these molecules as foreign
bodies (which they are), and vigorously attacks them. Unfortunately, the
protein sequences that are being presented by the large molecules are very
diverse, and the immune system trys to keep up by manufacturing antibodies
for every new protein sequence that it finds. Eventually, the antibodies
become so unspecific that body tissues are also targeted. The stomach glands
are some of the first to be attacked, and somewhere down the list are the
adrenal glands in the progression of the damage. Not everyone will sustain
the
same levels of damage, or to the same sequence of glands. For some, the
damage will not be permanent."

Many people were helpful in recommending doctors and online information.  And
to everyone who expressed concern for our daughter and good wishes for her
health--thank you all so much.  It meant a lot to me.  She's home from the
hospital.  Her diagnosis of Addison's was confirmed by a positive test for adrenal
antibodies.  It looks like she'll be on steroids for life.

Thanks so much for all your advice and interest.

Claire LaZebnik