From:
Bob Lawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 18:25:20 -0500

This might be of interest in light of several issues being
discussed on this BB.

I had Celiac Disease as a baby and almost died.  My mother took me to Florida
where she met a naturopath who put me on a diet of fresh fruit and
vegetables.  I recovered from the severe symptoms.  But as far as I ever knew
this was a childhood disease, and I lived on a total unrestricted diet as
long as I can remember.

In 1994 a routine blood test showed I was borderline anemic.  My HMO GP
referred me to a gastroenterologist to check for possible internal bleeding.
After a rectal endoscopic exam was negative he did an oral one also.
Afterwards he told me he thought I had Celiac sprue which was subsequently
confirmed by a biopsy.  Thus after a 70-plus years interval I completed the
cycle.  I had no other symptoms. I immediately went on a GF diet although
like many others I had difficulty in discovering good dietary information.
Thanks to my wife who is a great cook and willing to adjust with me along
with Betty Hagman's books I went on a GF diet.  Six months later I had a
recheck and learned the intestine was significantly improved but still not
quite normal.

I go back again for another checkup after a year.  The only specific effect I
can attribute to the changed diet is a weight gain of about 12 pounds which
has caused problems with my wardrobe. If I slip on hidden gluten I get no
quick feedback as many others do.

The doctor theorized that occasionally celiac sprue seems to be triggered by
a severe system shock.  In 1992 I had open heart surgery with a triple
by-pass followed six months later by radiation therapy for prostate cancer.
Obviously, my system had a significant shock.  His theory leads me to wonder
if some of the more unusual symptoms reported here occasionally might be
connected to causative factors contributing to celiac rather than being
symptoms thereof.

I find this BB very helpful and appreciate the opportunity to learn from
others' experience.

Bob Lawson